+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stoneflies........ fishing technique!

Hybrid View

Default Stoneflies........ fishing technique!

What is the correct fishing technique for fishing stoneflies that are migrating to shallow water to emerge?
    It seems to me the nymph would be moving in the opposite direction( away from shore) no matter your casting position in the stream!
    * I rarely fish stonefly nymphs. If I do its up/across dead drift, which really doesn't satisfy my question.
    Qg.

Very interesting question and I don't have the answer, but I'm a little unsure on the logic that the stonefly would swim away from shore to emerge.

I understand that other insects swim toward a shore specifically to emerge. Damsel flys come to mind in that group.

Leave No Trace

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that stoneflies head toward the shore in general to crawl out, and not always toward the most shallow part of the stream. They just need somewhere to crawl out at. Often they will get swept away in the current if they lose their grip on the bottom, which is why the down & across dead drift is often the best way to fish the nymphs. I often add subtle twitches to the drift to give the appearance of a struggling stone fly, and have been rewarded with strikes when doing so. Not sure of any other method to fish the nymph.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Smile

Quill,

There are two ways that I fish stone fly nymphs and the manner is determined by how I am fishing.

If you are drifting down a river in a drift boat, then fish them down deep and on a dead drift, much in the manner that Joe Valencic suggested. Have that stonefly right at the bottom, because that is where the real stoneflies are. You can often fish then close to the shore since that is where they are crawling to in order to climb out. However, they live across the whole bottom of a river and often do get dislodged and drift free for a bit until they can grab onto something. While the fish will key in on the ones crawling to the bank, they will gladly take a stonefly nymph anywhere in the river. So, work the areas where you would expect to find trout like underwater ledges, and seams and obstructions like rocks. I use strike indicators to work this method.

If you are on foot and working the river from the bank then start fishing your stonefly nymph or even a black Woolly Bugger, upstream of you and slowly work your way upstream. Use short casts as line control and fly control is critical. You are casting right up against the bank allowing your fly to drift free back towards you. Slowly take in a little line and raise your rod as the fly approaches you, then cast back upstream right against the bank again. Work only the same side of the river or stream where you are, if you want to work the other side then cross over and work upstream from there. Naturally, if you see a good looking ledge or rock, it never hurts to cast upstream of that object a few times as well to see if you can entice a fish. Move upstream a couple of feet and start casting again. There is nothing on your line except the fly so keep good line control so you can see or feel the take.

Good luck and good fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Smile

I happened to hit the little brown stoneflies migrating to shore one evening in Colorado on the South Platte right at dusk. The trout were waiting in ambush in the skinny nearly still water near the banks.
    I cast an unweighted nymph cast very delicately upstream. When the nymph dippled the surface the a wake would take off like freight train and then turn around and come backand gobble up my nymph. It was a heart attack every time it happened.
    It was one of those unbelieveable evenings that are a rare gift

Default Stonefly emergence......

I think some of you misunderstood my post.
    Most stoneflies 'migrate' toward shore to emerge( rocks,shoreline). That means the nymph is moving away from you if you are in the stream and casting toward that shoreline or bank.
    The nymph you are fishing will be moving away from the bank and moving toward you; which is the opposite direction of the real stonefly.
    So as 'sagefisher' stated, casting toward shore and drifting the nymph downstream seems to be the closest simulation of the emerging nymph near the shoreline.
    I hope that clears things up.
    Qg.

+ Reply to Thread