+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam History

Hybrid View

Default Spam History

Joe V.,
    Here is an excerpt from the book I'm reading "The Wild Blue" by Stephen Ambrose.
    This book is about the AAF men in WW2 who flew the B-24 Liberator in Europe.
    Quote; "At noon and in the evening, there was canned food--stewed prunes, hash heated in garbage cans, and meat, which was mostly Spam, called "mystery meat." Like nearly every serviceman in the armed forces of the United States, the AAF men at Cerignola (Italy) came to hate the sight of Spam. This was true even at the very top. After the war, General Eisenhower met the president of Hormel company and thanked him for the Spam, then added, with a grin, "But did you have to send so much of it?" One writer in the 455th--calling himself "Anon"--commented: "For breakfast the cooks will fry it. At dinner it is baked. For supper they have it paddy caked. Next morning it's with flapjacks. Where the hell do they get it all, they must order it by the kegs!...SPAM in stew. SPAM in pies, and SPAM in boiling grease!"
    At Cerignola (Italy) the alternative to Spam was canned Vienna Sausages. After a month of eating them, one of the men tacked a proposal on the squadron ready-room door, offering to stop bombing Vienna if its people would stop sending their sausages. End Quote.
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 05-16-2008 at 06:03 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thanks Doug,

SPAM, the food that won the war. It warms my heart to think about it.

I have been stockpiling SPAM for the Michigan Fish-In for a special "treat" to be served on July 4th. I now have 38 cans of this "magnificent meat" to share with my fellow FAOL'ers, and still need about another two dozen or so cans. I'm certain they will appreciate the gesture and want to reciprocate in some way.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I knew it. The armies of freedom marched on bellies full of spam.

You think the men would've scaled Mt. Suribachi or held at the Battle of the Bulge eating granola?

Fatman Guest

Doug,

Great book!!!!!!!!!! I've had it for about 5 years and read the it at least twice a year, it's just that good of a book.

Fatman

Default SPAM History

Doug,
    Now THIS is the place to actually SEE the history depicted in the book. On our way to Wyoming via the "Northern" route a must stop for us is Austin MN , home of Hormel and of the SPAM Museum.

AND, the best part of the stop is that some of the local restaurants serve SPAM in the "double-wide" portion. I know some of you will gag , but, SPAM, lettuce and a great garden aromatic tomato slice on toast sandwich works for me.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Doug,
    Now THIS is the place to actually SEE the history depicted in the book. On our way to Wyoming via the "Northern" route a must stop for us is Austin MN , home of Hormel and of the SPAM Museum.

AND, the best part of the stop is that some of the local restaurants serve SPAM in the "double-wide" portion. I know some of you will gag , but, SPAM, lettuce and a great garden aromatic tomato slice on toast sandwich works for me.

Mark
    Just another magnificent reason to appreciate your companionship, Marco. A man after my own stomach. I hope to share a SPAM delight with you at the MIFI. Does your lovely bride share the same discriminating palette as you? Unfortunately, mine does not. She comes from that same island tribe that ohiotuber comes from where plain meat and boiled potatoes are considered a delicacy.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Doug,

Great book!!!!!!!!!! I've had it for about 5 years and read the it at least twice a year, it's just that good of a book.

Fatman
    Fatman,
    This is the first book I have checked out of the Library in many years. I picked it because of the author. It was a surprise that former Senator George McGovern was the main character. Spam must be good if it helped those amazing men. The Pilots were the best of the best and I highly recommend the book.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Thanks Doug,

SPAM, the food that won the war. It warms my heart to think about it.

I have been stockpiling SPAM for the Michigan Fish-In for a special "treat" to be served on July 4th. I now have 38 cans of this "magnificent meat" to share with my fellow FAOL'ers, and still need about another two dozen or so cans. I'm certain they will appreciate the gesture and want to reciprocate in some way.

Joe
    Boy, am I glad I WON'T be there on the 4th!!!
    "SPAM, the meat that created the need for more porta potties!"
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

"Spam delight" redundancy or oxymoron? who can say, not I.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Joe v.
    As I will certainly appreciate YOUR companionship at the MIFI. As to my " lovely bride" and her opinion of SPAM, she tolerates it for MY sake. Her main concern is the Sodium content, but she also enjoys a fried SPAM (SLT) on occasion.
    Historically speaking and a bit more on topic, my first taste of SPAM was probably in 1948 ( I was 5) or so when we were gifted it along with Hershey's chocolate bars from the GIs in Germany and Austria during my family's immigration to the US. My dad did comment later in life that he was always suspect as to the true motivation behind the SPAM gifts . Those were hard times and SPAM ( not labeled that) in OD cans was more than appreciated.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread