Last week I was fishing some private waters in NorCal. I was told that "Joe Cooper" was going to arrive one afternoon to fish. I was casting along one of the ranch's Northern pools when a fellow strolled briskly up to me and greeted me with much enthusiasm. It was Joe Cooper. He gave me a few tips and we swapped some info on the bite and flies to use.I told Joe that he could fish the rest of the pool that was yet unfished that morning. Joe was fishing size #28 Midges on a 3 WT. He had hired a Gilley to carry his rods and net and release his fish for him and also keep his log as he caught the fishes. His Gilley showed and Joe began to fish. I watched from across the pool as Joe got into some good fish too.

Now Joe had driven into the ranch's back counrty solo in a fairly new 4X4 SUV. He was dressed to the gills in fishing garb; waders, hat, gloves, protective wear. He just looked "right" and in his element. Joe is 89 years old and has been fly fishing full time for the past 45 years. I was told his house is a fly fishing shrine. Meeting Joe and seeing for myself that there are many fine years of angling ahead of someone my age (55) was inspirational.

Who is the oldest Fly Angler that you know?

Rich