+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spinning Rod Guides on a Fly Rod

Hybrid View

Default Spinning Rod Guides on a Fly Rod

I was wondering if there is any merit to the idea of putting spinning rod guides on a fly rod. I saw some pictures of what I believe was a fly rod made by Great Bay rods and it looks like they have spinning rod guides on them; furthermore I read a comment by a fly fisherman saying he could cast 90 ft with a rod made by that company whereas he couldn't get past 70 feet with is Z-Axis rod. In addition I have an Orvis Helios 8 wt that has much larger stripping guides than any of my other rods and I can cast further, easier with it.
    So I'd like to know what would happen to my fly rod if I put spinning rod guides on it. Would I be able to cast further only to see accuracy go to pot or would I make it so heavy it would wear me out or would some other bad things happen?

cycler68;
    I see you are from IA. Why would you want to cast 90'? Most flyfishing in the Midwest is under 40'.
    Being able to cast 90' is not a bad thing, just not neccesary most of the time.

Default 90'

I do not believe the guides have much to do with the distance. If I take my Heddon bamboo out I can get most of the line out but who wants to fight a fish that far from the end of the rod? The guides on this old Heddon rod are small.
    ALso, sometimes I fish a short ultralight graphite spinning rod with a fly reel and line.

Cool All in the eyes of the beholder

The old fly rods had very small guides, since the fly lines were pretty thin (silk lines) the larger guides came about with the creation of plastic fly lines. Some fly lines, like the Cortland Sylk, are thinner, so will run through a 'normal' guide better since they don't rub on the inside of the guide as much as a fatter line. Keep in mind the finish on the line will also affect how well it 'flies' - hard finish flies better than soft.

If the guides are 'too big' you will have 'line-slap' and cast shorter.

My first thought on this was that its going to slow the rod down by adding dead weight to the blank---so the recoil of the rod has to overcome the additional weight of the guides before it can impart any action on the line. Unless the blank was engineered (larger diameter or thicker wall) to overcome the the weight of the heavier guides , my thought is , the rod will come to its overloaded condition sooner
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    If the guides are 'too big' you will have 'line-slap' and cast shorter.
    What he said!

Besides Jim (JC) another quite knowledgeable fellow and authority on rod building, Tom Morgan formally of Winston feels exactly the same way. As a result the guides he uses on his new company's rods are a tad smaller than what you may see elsewhere.

+ Reply to Thread