+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headwater's Bamboo

Hybrid View

Default Headwater's Bamboo

I'm really sorry if this question belongs in a different thread, but this just seemed like a good spot for me to find an answer.

has anyone ever used a headwater's Bamboo Rod? www.headwatersbamboo.com

After fly fishing for 10 years and dreaming of getting a fishable piece of Boo. I am finally in the market for one. The price looks really nice for me. 2 tips and around 500- 600 dollars. Any experience here with that company? Any other suggestions for a rod within the same price range?

I was looking for a really nice 3 weight to enjoy the native brookies up here in New England.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Shakey,

Headwaters is the sole importer of blanks and rods also reels, built by the Zhus rod company in China. Other companies selling these rods are Elkhorn,Tea-Stick now Highland Mills, Duluth Dan from e-bay and until recently Diamondback. I own a Tea-Stick 7'6" 5 wt. Bought it when the price was 400.00. I have no complaints about my rod but there were 3 in the shop I bought mine from and suggested that 2 be sent back. One had a loose ferrule the other had a ferrule that wasn't set right. From what I've been hearing Zhus's quality is getting better but I can't reccommened them at this price. BTY you can buy directly from Zhus over the net, last time I looked rod were 350.00 each US. Do not confuse these rods with the made in USA rod Highland Mills is selling for 1200.00 in Cabelas these are made by a builder in PA..
    IMO when these rods were selling for 350.00 to 450.00 I thought they would be a good entry level rod replacing Montague and H-I in the bamboo world. But for 500.00 to 600.00 you can find much better quality American or English made rods both new and used.
    New: Lon Blauvelt from Maine rods start at 595.00 just google his name. JTRods.com selling rods built on Gene Edwards blanks start at 475.00. AJ Thramer has an affordable rod series also Art Weiler rods start around 800.00. There are many more names out there.
    Used: Orvis Battenkills can start at 300.00 for a one tip Madison grade. I'm picking up an F.E.Thomas Yellowstone made for A&F 3/2 8' 4/5 wt tomorrow for 375.00. Scotty rods made By Farlow run around 250.00-300.00 This company made blanks for Orvis, Leonard the Duracanes, and Cortland the 444.
    Take your time cast alot of rods pick the one that's best for you. It's a fun process. I'd avoid E-bay if your not sure about what your looking for.

Tom

You can do a lot better then $600 on a piece of Chinese made junk. Look at the used market, Orvis, Channer, Thramer and many more for less. Here's a link to a rod I once owned (sells new for $900) and also a link to the makers site.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lou-Burhart-7ft-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.brackhilltackle.com/Rods/BHTRods.html
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I agree there are several USA makers that build beautiful bamboo for pennies. Problem is there is waiting lists.
    I had the Tea Stick 7' 4wt and LOVED IT! I could cast it next to my Penn's Creek and blind folded, it might have been difficult to tell the difference.
    MOST of the boos out there are made from TONKIN cane which is Asian.
    While I try very hard NOT to support China, when it comes to BAMBOO, specially on a budget, that can be a problem.
    I personally like that site you posted. I am thinking about BUILDING a 5 wt. and this might be the answer. The Payne 101 taper is cool.
    It is always my advise to put the boo in hand first. Find one that will be your dream come true, cause there is such a big selection out there with some being overall heavy (specially the older ones like HI, Monty, etc) and some that are tip heavy or butt heavy which allot of people prefer.
    Plus a good finish, and two tips are always good, but there I say rotate them every other outing so they wear evenly.
    FEEL BEFORE YOU BUY!

And for the record, even the bamboo Glen Bracket uses is from China's Black Forest.....that IS where bamboo comes from.
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 05-17-2008 at 01:38 AM.

well, I'm pretty sure that the issue revolves around the quality of the craftsmanship and not the origin of the raw material.

unless yer a collector and want a wall piece from a famous name, contact a maker in yer region and they can work with you to build a fantastic rod at a reasonable price. there's nothing better than a handcrafted bamboo fly rod made by a friend of yours, or even better yet, made by yer own two hands.

I agree with most. You can buy a very nice rod, made to the taper you want (I know a maker that will ship you a rod to test), something you will be proud to fish, for not a lot more than $600. AND maybe get your money back if you decide to sell it someday.

+ Reply to Thread