+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fish Finder advice....

Default Fish Finder advice....

I'm looking to purchase a fish finder for my float tube...It will also be used on a boat. I'm not looking for anything really fancy or expensive, just something that works well. Here are some that I've been looking at...Please let me know your opinions.....

Eagle 245ds - $100

Lowrance x50ds - $119 (looks just like the 245ds, not sure if there is any difference since they are made by the same company)

Humminbird piranha max 220 - $100
    piranha max 240 - $140
    565 - $200

all of these are dual beam or greater.. Does that really matter??? Would I be ok with single beam or does the dual beam give me that much wider sonar coverage?

Thanks

I use the Fishin Buddy.
    It has a side beam and a telescoping transducer.
    Not the most accurate or feature filled but versatile for me.
    No transducer to put on bottom of tube or boat.
    Pulls out of the holder and fits in the clamped holder on the boat in seconds.
    Light and easy to operate.

DuFf

I use the 220 on my pontoon. It's great for seeing the bottom depth and contour, but I'm not sure it it's good for a whole lot else. I do keep an eye on it. Does it help me catch fish? Probably... Maybe. It is fun to watch. It's the only one I've ever used, so I can't compare it to others.

Don't know how I'd rig it on a tube, though. Lots of wiring to take care of. I rigged up a mount that hangs off the back for the transducer. Cable from the transducer to the head is, I think, 20'. That's a lot of extra cable to keep coiled up. Also, it needs an external power supply. I've got a 12v gel cell that weighs about a pound. Gotta put that somewhere and have another cable to the head. On the pontoon, it's no big deal, but on a tube ...?

I see a lot of tubers with the Fishin Buddy. All self contained.

I bought my first locator in '86 and I remember fishing with my friends dad who had a Lowrance Green Box. Whatever you buy today for $150, people would have given their right arm to own 25 years ago.

Yes, look at features, but look at warranty and store replacement policy. Most units at a price point will have similar features. The Eagle / Lowrance, Hummingbird, Garmin units are all good. Get it from someplace that will stand behind it if you have a problem. Sometimes, Wal-mart is your best bet at this price point.

Rick

I have a fishing buddy that I use on the canoe at times. I use it more for bottom contour than I do to locate fish.
    It aves alot of timein finding out what the bottom looks like, also several flies that are not lost.

Rick

anyone have an opinions on the ones I listed???

nothing?? c'mon

Joel,

I have the 565 mounted on my small fiberglass flat bottom. All I can say is that it is freaking awesome. Works great in shallow water, which is what I mostly fish. Easy to use, and easy to read display.

Here is a great testiment. I bought this unit at a Gander Mountain store in PA while driving home after returning from Iraq. Hooked it up and went out fishing with it the next day. Me and my brother pulled up to a downed tree, and it showed fish everywhere in about 5' of water. My brother dropped a jig down, and BAM, first crappie of the day was in the boat. Having never fished with electronics before, I was an instant believer.

I have a Fining Buddy that I take on Canadian fly-ins, used to hang it on my old pontoon boat (fast in/out of holder) and now use it on my canoe. Operates off of 3 or 4 C-cell batteries with no transducer cables to get in the way or get caught on anything. I've had this unit for at least 10 years and it does everything I need, which is to tell me the depth and what the botom contour looks like. From what I've seen, this is the most popular unit for float tubes & pontoons, and there are even aftermarket holders for them. Sorry, no experience with your choices.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread