+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help on Fly Fishing gears for Bonefish

Default Help on Fly Fishing gears for Bonefish

Hi,
    I am new to fly fishing. I need help on getting a reel and rod for bone fish (2-3lb). What size (or weight class) reel and rod do you recommand? Can I used the same gear for Striped Bass (2-10 lb)?
    Thanks.

I would suggest you look at the TFO website and buy the 8 wt rod that fits your budget, along with a TFO reel. I have their 'TiCr' 8 wt and think it outperforms $600+ US made bonefishing rods, but the less expensive Series I and Pro. will do just fine.

If your PRIMARY target will be stripers, a 9 wt might serve you a bit better, so it's kind of a tossup beween the two weights. Either will work for both species, really. Something like the TFO 350 or 375 large arbor reel will work great, although they are a bit pricy. Their Mk II reel will work fine, too.

You will want a floating line for bonefish, and most likely an intermediate line for stripers. Since these fish are not co-located, you can easily change the line on the reel between trips, and shouldn't need multiple spools.

[This message has been edited by josko (edited 02 September 2005).]

I would suggest casting as many rods as you can, then buying the one you like best. Nothing against TFO, but I've owned them, and they don't hold a candle to my $600 rods. Not even in the same league as a Sage or Loomis or T&T.

It sounds like your'e looking for one rod/reel combo for bonefishing...if so, get yourself an 8-weight, as this size will prove to be most versatile for your bones and stripers.

Good Luck,

Fred

Well.. my .02 would be to go out and buy one of the cheap TFO rods in n 8wt. They cost about $75. Then get the reel of your choice. When I went to Belize last, my dad used an inexpensive Okuma reel and did just fine. I really can't think of a better situation for the "inexpensive outfit." Later, if you really like fishing the salt, you can always upgrade. I own a few TFO rods, as well as a bunch of "premium" rods in both graphite and cane. The TFO casts a lot better than you would expect, at that price point. For a rod that you could conceivably only use once or twice a year, I don't think you can go wrong with TFO.

That being said, if you are the type who likes to have top notch gear right from the start, you can't go wrong with a Sage Xi2 and a Ross Canyon reel. I use this outfit, and am perfectly happy. Is it worth the extra 800 bucks over the TFO and the Okuma: not a chance.

If you decide to split the difference, then just get a good reel. A lot of people swear by Abels, but I don't own any of their larger reels so I can't speak to them. I like the Ross, though, and have no complaints. You can always use it for salmon, steelhead or whatever other larger species you should pursue.

[This message has been edited by Jordan (edited 03 September 2005).]

TFO rods seem to be very popular and priced right.Since your new to the game,a PRO series might fit you better.I would suggest you cast as many rods as possible before you buy.For a reel,I would look at the Teton Tioga.This reel is reasonably priced and very tough.Very popular for inshore SW fishing.Exrta spools are reasonable also so you can switch between a floating line and an intermediate easily.I see you live in Chantilly,VA so you might call Anglers Lie in Arlington and see what they can do for you.You also have LLBean and Orvis in Tysons Corner for options.Good luck.

If TFO meets your price requirements I strongly suggest Albright, their rods have much more feel and are finished off nicer than TFO.

And in similar price range as the TFO offerings...

Sage Launch & the discontinued DS and VPS series have some bargains!
    St. Croix Avid
    Echo
    Winston Ibis has been discontinued and is also a good buy right now.
    Albright
    And I've probably missed a few...

Lots of choices...

I agree with the selection of an 8 wt. and get a 4 pc! Not a 2 pc! As for reels, I would look at the Teton Tioga or one of the Orvis reels as potential choices in sw reels at reasonable prices. Salt is corrosive and many of the cheaper reels will rust.

+ Reply to Thread