+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best rod for 600 bucks?

Default Best rod for 600 bucks?

I'm going to do my civic duty and blow my stimulus check on a new fly rod. I'm looking for something like a 3 or 4 weight for small streams. What do you fine folks think would be good?

Normand Guest

theres alot of good rods out there for under $300 and you would have money left over to complete the entire outfit

I already have several rods under $300, so I already have a decent reel for it. I wanna blow my money on something fancy.

You could get into one of the Orvis Superfines for about $500. They were designed for small stream fishing and the like. Nice looking rods, too....if you care about the cosmetics.

The Winston WT's are nice....but they list at $615. There's been lot's of praise for the WT. And......it looks like a Winston.

The Loomis Streamdance GLX are great rods and sticker at $625. They come in 3-speeds (no, not transmissions). Presentation, high line speed, and max line speed. Great casting rods.

The Sage Z-Axis (the replacement for the long-loved XP) is $610. Some people hate'm but most people love'em.

There's some options for ya.
    Whatever your decision, have fun with your new tax-dollar-rod.
    (You earned it.......literally.)

Brian

You're going to get a lot of different opinions. While I do not own one, I've cast a few of the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum rods and they are nice. I was looking for a 7'6" 3wt and test cast a few of them. I ended up getting a Sage SLT when they were being closed out. I couldn't pass up the firesale prices.

I also have a Scott G2 that is an outstanding rod. It's a little higher than your price range but if you can swing another $75 or so, check them out you owe it to yourself if you like a moderate action rod. You can pick them up used for well under your price range, but it sounds like you're after that one special new rod and I don't blame you.

I've test cast a few of the Winston WT's also and they are sweet. I ended up liking the Scott G2 just a touch more but will own a winston someday.

Good luck in picking out a new rod. What a fun thing to do.

Jeff

I just completed a Sage ZXL 8' 6" 4 pc. 3 wt. It is one awsome rod!!

At least at that price point you've significantly narrowed down the choices.

Wish I was in that boat!!! LOL But seriously...Z-axis.

Marty

If I could spend that amt., I would shop and test drive as many as possible.

I don't do any test casting now as I know I cannot afford what I would be testing for the most part...but with cash to spend, test cast everything you can...in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gutbomb View Post
    I'm going to do my civic duty and blow my stimulus check on a new fly rod. I'm looking for something like a 3 or 4 weight for small streams. What do you fine folks think would be good?
    For a few $ more, look at the Winston 7'6" 3 WT B2T rod. This is a great small stream dry fly rod. I added one to my collection last fall and I have been very pleased with the choice.

RoyC

Money doesn't buy happiness so make sure to cast first before looking at the price tag.

After that decide what length rod you are after because to me small stream means something in the 6'6" to 7'0" length.

If you want something in that size there are less choices but if you want something really special also consider a custom built rod built on the blank of your choice with the hardware of your choice. Your could get a downlocking reelseat or a custom grip and I would almost guarantee that you could get most custom rods built on a top notch blank with BETTER fit, finish & hardware, for under factory MSRP which would end up being LESS than $600. I also feel you would end up with a better looking and higher quality rod too.

+ Reply to Thread