+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something very interesting to us all.

Hybrid View

Default Something very interesting to us all.

Swiss Ban Catch-and-Release

Yesterday Fly Talk's Kirk Deeter turned up a classic example of animal rights activism run wild. In Switzerland, new legislation designed to improve animal welfare includes a provision that "it is not permitted to go fishing with the 'intention' to release the fish." That caught they eye of anglers all over Europe, who want the Swiss to change the legislation before it is too late."It's believed that the legislation could affect as many as 275,000 anglers in Switzerland, who generate around 30 million Euros in annual tackle sales. EFTTA (European Fishing Tackle Trade Association) acting president, Pierangelo Zanetta, said: 'EFTTA does not believe that forcing anglers to kill their catches is either good for nature or for recreational sport fishing - which makes a significant financial contribution to the EU economy.'"
    (END)

We all (myself included), laugh at times about groups like PETA and other "granola crunchers", and their often flamboyant attempts at attacking we fishermen and hunters. But we also need to take them very seriously as well.
    The above article and links, are a perfect example of "what can happen to our sport, if we're not more diligent in keeping track of these organizations" and what they're up to in our fish and wildlife governing bodies.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's no shortage of people wanting to tell you how to live your life......

Blog Entries

Default Swiss miss instant Dodo!

You know what? Why don't we join all those fisherman and pull every fish out.
    After all, they MUST know what is right! PETA has their finger on the pulse of those poor fishies!
    YOU GUYS ARE ALL MEAN!! Getting your jolies catching poor little fishies! THEN letting them go! shame!

Now where did I put the hook sharpener?

HAR!

Bad Luck La(HAR!)ry

I cannot think of anything nice to say about PETA or the Swiss, so ......
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Just a bit of a quote that seems ...

appropriate . Im not too very sure at the exact quote , and if some one knows it to be different than please correct me .
    " You sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on your part ".
    This is for all of the pacifists (AKA "granola munchers) that think that the worlds troubles would be solved by a very large group hug with all of the peoples that hate us as Americans or the Americans that want to control all us other Americans that dont know how to properly behave ourselves. There are our fellow Americans that honestly believe that the greater majority of us do not in fact know how to control our individual lives and that they have better ideas for us. PETA is just one group. Watch them . Watch groups like them. Watch them closely. Once they have even a partial insinuation into somthing then they are in and they wont be dislodged. Europe has a history of being overwhelmingly controlled by little knotts of people who know best for the majority.
    Wow, this thread has just wound me up way to tight.
    I better go have some more coffee and relax a bit.

Cheers ,
    Perch

What bothers me about the whole activist thing is that when these "tree-huggers" finally get their way and the fishermen and hunters can no longer do what they do, what happens to all the public lands and wildlife management areas?

Some of these areas are really pristine and prime for wildlife. With the way the state governments have been selling off these lands, I'm worried about what will happen to the land that's left. I can't stand the thought of these places being sold for commercial/industrial/residential development. People should really think about what they're doing...

And another point that hasn't been brought up... What if we just left all of this wildlife to roam about and keep reproducing? Eventually, species currently listed as "game" would become "nuisance" and the government would have to get it under control. Now I'm not saying there are going to be rogue schools of fish causing trouble, but there are animals that would become nuisance species if they weren't hunted or fished. There are already some that are considered nuisance species, because of morons bringing them from overseas and releasing them here and others that were already here, but rarely hunted. TN had rewards for people killing coyotes at one time just to keep the population down. I don't know if that's still in effect though.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I cannot think of anything nice to say about PETA or the Swiss, so ......
    The Cumberland Chapter of TU has a very nice gentleman from Switzerland as a member. He has been the featured fly tyer at least once or twice and he gave a very nice talk on trout fishing in Switzerland.

Ed

Blog Entries

Old #art, I believe that all plants have inherent value. Of course that doesn't mean that plants can't be a lot more of a bane than a benefit. Some of the plants in my yard have been voted to the compost pile, as their greatest inherent value...

Ed

+ Reply to Thread