Thread: Can I fix it?

Threaded View

Exclamation Can I fix it?

I have a rod I've fished with for years that my Dad bought me for my High School graduation gift--needless to say it has tremendous sentimental value to me and I just broke it! This rod helped to shape my casting style and fits me like it was made especially for me. It has a lifetime warranty, so normally I'd send it back and get it repaired or a new one. Here's the problem: it was custom built by a guy who worked at a fly shop in Utah that is now out of business. I believe this shop was owned by Dave Scadden, who now makes/sales the popular Scadden pontoons.

Here is the situation: like an idiot I smashed the tip-end of the bottom section (4 piece rod) in the truck door. I carefully inspected it and found no problems at all so figured I'd gotten extremely lucky. The rod wasn't actually smashed, I pulled it out at the last second, but it still took a good hit. I fished with it 3 times after that, caught fish and had no problems. Then a few days ago I was really powering through a super long cast and "SNAP!" The rod cracked from the very end of that bottom section about 5 inches down. My heart about sank and I've been trying to find some direction on how to fix it, but everything out there is all about fixing breaks that have gone clear through the graphite.

Is there anything I can do to fix this rod and keep it from splitting further? What would you guys/gals suggest? It's a 5 wt. and I'd hoped to pass it on to one of my sons at some point...can I do anything? Thank you in advance for your input!
    Last edited by Wild One; 05-08-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: clarity
    Leave No Trace