Hey all

I use to be a member under the title of newsman. Got bumped of awhile back when our two friendly admins got whacked and it took a new server to get back on. Anyways just before that all happened I had talked to the lady fly fisher about sharing my column here with you folks (I am a fly fishing instructor and sport fishing columnist here in Mission BC), well it only took a year; so here goes.

Fishing report for May 5 to 12, 2008

Last week I stated that the fishery we enjoy today is not much different than it was 100 years ago. This was due to the fact that early in the history of our province many of our popular lakes were void of fish and it was not until after fisheries began its stocking program around 1918, that our famous lakes gained their reputations. However, there were some early fisheries that stood out and sparked BC's fame.

One such fishery was the steelhead of North Vancouver's Capilano River. While J Turner had wrote about this river in1896, it was Paul Moody Smith who immortalized it when he designed "Smith's Illusion (fly)" for its waters in the pre 1910 era.

Another phenomenal fishery of the pre stocking period was Lac Le Jeune. In 1907, Dr T W Lambert author of "Fishing in British Columbia" along with his partner fished this lake they knew as "Fish Lake" and recorded catching 1,500 trout in three days.

Then in 1908 John Pease Gordon, Commissioner of Provincial Fisheries, and author of "The Game Fishes of British Columbia" drew the eyes of the sport fishing community to the Harrison River, with his catches of chinook and coho salmon on the fly.

Spring is finally here and fishing on our lower mainland lakes is heating up along with the improving weather. The warmer north eastern sections of your favorite lake is still the place to be from mid morning through the afternoon. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Micro Leach, Wooly worm, Pheasant Tail nymph, Doc Spratley, Green Spratley, Dragonfly Nymph, Coachman, Cased Caddis, Carey Special, Zulu, or Baggy Shrimp. If dry (floating) fly is your fancy try: Tom Thumb, Renegade, Lady McConnel, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Black Gnat.

Fishing has started on many of our interior lakes and the reports are good. For this early season fishery try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Big Black, Wooly Bugger. Halfback, Souboo, Sixpack, Butlers Bug, 52 Buick, olive Matuka, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is rising. Time to start working the clearer water in and around the outlets of its tributary streams, for dolly varden and cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Tied Down Minnow, Rolled Muddler, Clouser's Minnow, Bucktail, Stonefly Nymph, Cased Caddis, Coachman, American Coachman, Zulu, Black Gnat, Souboo, or Six Pack. For dooly varden try: large (#4 to #1) Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Dolly whacker, Big Black, Bucktail, or Rolled Muddler.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat and dolly varden.

The Stave River is fair to good for rainbow, cutthroat, and whitefish. For rainbow try Stonefly Nymph, Cased Caddis, Coachman, Elk Hair caddis, Zulu, Black Gnat, Souboo, or Six Pack. For whitefish try small (size #16 to #12) Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Cased Caddis, Mosquito.

Our next fly fishing class begins May 14. Call Ridge Meadows College at 604-466-6577 to book your seat.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".

Hope you all like it.