+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Buffalo River, East Fork Shoal Creek

Default Little Buffalo River, East Fork Shoal Creek

Well my Dad and I have been trying since last Saturday to find these so-called "stocked trout" in the East Fork and Little Buffalo and our results have only yielded a large chub minnow caught on a size 14 red fox squirrel hair nymph and a little madtom that was kicked up by a rock my Dad stepped on. If you don't know what a madtom is, they are little fish that won't get very big and look like catfish... This one was about four inches.

Saturday it had just rained and both the Little Buffalo and East Fork were muddy. We fished a small branch off the Little Buffalo called Peter Cave Creek. It was very clear and very small. I don't think there were any fish there besides minnows... Beautiful stream though.

Regardless of the lack of fish it was still nice to be out in/on the water. We had hopes, but it was still enjoyable to be able to spend some time with the Old Man (That's respectful in some cultures) fishing for ghost trout in some very beautiful places.

I know that's why they call it "fishing" and not "catching".....
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Joe;
    Nice looking water, there must be trout in there!! Thanks for the report and the chance to see where you fish. Yep, a day with the "Old Man" beats all!
    You can come over here and fish with a couple of "Old Men" anytime!

Just a report to those interested in those ghost trout that Joe referred to. I PM'ed him but others may be may want to fish the area. I actually saw a couple of those trout 10-12 inchers and caught a rock bass. Beautiful area (Little Buffalo River). Wild Azalea is in bloom along with Mt. Laurel Along with who knows how many other flowering plsnts and shrubs. Be prepared to be startled by deer, beaver, turkey, owls, or who knows what while fishing there. Where I fished was barely 3 miles off the Natchez Trace Parkway on one lane gravel roads. Seen Joe's Dad and one other car in 2 Hr's. not too busy. GO FISH

That's my Dad in the photo. He'll be 69 in July. He really isn't in the best of shape with back and foot problems and it bothers me when he goes off by himself, but I'm glad he's able to get out still. He has been pushing it this week though, I just hope he doesn't push too hard.

ELHead is right about that place. It is a Wildlife Management Area and the roads aren't much, but it's worth going there just for the scenery. I haven't really spent much time in Laurel Hill WMA except the lakes, but that was several years ago. I've only recently started going there and exploring when I found out about the stocking. With the way states have been selling off public lands, it worries me that it would actually happen here. I'd hate to see places like this fall to commercialization and so on. Maybe TWRA won't let it get that way if they can manage to stick around long enough.

Jack- I may actually make it over there next weekend. I should have a little to spare for gas to put in the motorcycle to make the trip. My car averages 30mpg. My motorcycle averages 70mpg. 250cc's may be small, but 70mpg makes it so much better.
    Last edited by joerogrz; 05-08-2008 at 03:23 AM.

Joe -

That looks like a great place to spend some time, with or without the "Old Man," and with or without catching fish. No doubt one of these days you'll locate the "ghost trout" and add to grand memories you have of The Little Buffalo and its tribs.

John
    The fish are always right.

Same thing with Tumbling Creek. The state was supposed to stock it and we caught 2 very unhealthy-looking trout(almost grey in color with very little 'rainbow' down the sides). Didn't see any more(and the water is very clear). I did get into some rock bass but that was about it. The streams look very similar. I did see a lot of suckers though.
    My feeling is the locals run their washing machine water into the river. It will have a greyish-blue collor and foam up in spots.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 05-08-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Joe;
    Nice looking water, there must be trout in there!! Thanks for the report and the chance to see where you fish. Yep, a day with the "Old Man" beats all!
    You can come over here and fish with a couple of "Old Men" anytime!
    Hey Jack, is that "Grumpy Old Men"?

ELHead, another form of wildlife in the area is snakes. The largest copperhead I've ever seen was swimming across the Buffalo River (not the Little Buffalo). There also used to be a problem, at least many years ago, with some very aggressive, feral hogs that I have had the displeasure to cross paths with. I think that a lot of Tennessee's feral hog problem eased up when the state re-labelled them from "game" to "pest".

Still, the area is nice and used to be some of the best smallmouth water in the U.S. (I silently toast otter trappers.)

Ed

Well, right up till Ed started talking about the big snake, I was thinking how content I could be, just sitting on a big rock, mid stream, watching the world go by.

Ifn you don't mind Joe, I'd like to copy that picture to my desktop, and spend some time just dreaming.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

BOOYAH! Caught a trout today and saw several others!! Going back in the AM and then off to David Crockett State Park to raid the lake!! It was my first trout on a fly rod using a fly that Jack gave to me. Orange hackle and tail, orange/black flashy body... Not sure what it is, but it caught one. It was less than 12", but put up a good fight and came off the hook while I was getting my camera.... How cruel is that? I waded up the Little Buffalo for about a mile and a half before it got close to closing time for Laurel Hill.

Here is one of the many really nice spots on this river.

If you're wondering why I would be going to a lake when there are nice places like the Little Buffalo to fish, Lake Lindsey in the Crockett Park has some huge shellcrackers and I want to take a whack at them and possibly bring home a few.

Ed- My Dad was at Laurel Hill when a big story was unfolding about a copperhead. Apparently a copperhead came off the bank while a guy was fishing and snatched his lure. The ranger said the trees and bushes near the streams are covered up with them though I haven't actually seen any..... Yet... My Dad was at the checking station while this was going on and overheard the story. I think I'd let the snake keep the lure....

Betty- You can set that as your desktop pic if you like, I don't mind at all. If you're serious though, I can send you a larger version...

BBW- The trout I caught seemed healthy to me, but then again I haven't seen too many trout at all. The color seemed right about it and had the rainbow. Fought better than most fish I catch also...

I WANT MY FLY BACK!!!
    Just kidding, nice photo Joe.

+ Reply to Thread