+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build

Default New Build

I haven't been building very many rods lately. Unlike Joe I was able to kick the habit and go on with my life, mainly more fishing! I have built a 9' 3 wt. to replace the one I broke. But it is a 2 pc. and I need a 4 pc. for the Idaho Fish-In as I plan to ship my gear in advance.
    Sooooooo, I bit the bullit and will be picking up my Sage Zxl blank tomorrow! Wish me luck!

jack, please post pictures of your build. i need inspiration to bite the bullet!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Jack,
    Let us know what you think of the Zxl.

I'm not much of a "Fancy" rod builder. I like my wraps to blend with the rod when coated. No accents or fancy weaves. I am doing my own custom cork grip on this one, nothing fancy just something I've never done before. A grip that will be fit to my hand for a change.
    I think the Zxl will be a moderate/fast rod and should know for sure this weekend.
    I'm fortunate to have a friend here that is a Sage dealer, rod builder (bamboo also), certified FFF Fly Casting Instructor and the owner of the best Liquor/Wine store in Tullahoma!

Jack
    I curently have 2 rods on the bench. The rods are a 9 foot 6 weight and a 8.5 foot 4 weight, both St Croix blanks. I hope to have them finished for the MI Fish In. These are the first rods I have built for myself in several years. Remember...you can't have too many rods.

Brad

Well' I just took it out in the front yard for a test and all I can say is OH MY GOD!!!! I'm ordering a 5 wt. blank next!!

I was over at Jack's place this evening and he brought out his latest rod and I yard cast it and all I can say is, Wow! That is one sweet casting 3 weight! Hardly any effort needed to cast! One very nice rod. Great job Jack!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Jack,

Just you wait until you get it out on the water. The ZXL is one sweet casting rod and excels at close range. I have a 4 wt that is my go to rod for small streams and pools.

Congratulations on your new rod.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Tyronefly;
    It was "Blooded" in the Duck River this afternoon and you are correct! It also like to "Reach out and Touch Somebody" too! Just think about where you want the fly to go and it's there!

PICTURES Jack! We want pictures of that "newbie".....Please?
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread