+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boise, ID panfishing

Default Boise, ID panfishing

In a BB post last year, I asked if there is any decent panfishing to be had in or near Boise, Idaho? I'm not a skilled Bulletin Board user; now I can't locate that old thread. But in it a couple of Boise-area guys generously offered to show me some lakes where bluegill and crappie fishing is pretty good. I don't recall the names of these guys; it happened too long ago.

Well...I'm now in Boise, got here Sunday, May 3rd. And I'll be living in Boise until October. So I'm firing this flare in hopes it gets spotted by those guys who responded to last year's post.

Fellas, I'm ready to go after panfish RIGHT NOW but don't have the first clue where any lakes are. Leaving in a few minutes to go buy my Idaho non-resident annual permit.

I brought my canoe, the one that's outfitted with the 2-anchor system.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Joe: I used to drive clean across Oregon just to fish Brownlee Res which is on the Snake River and not too far from Boise. I've caught smallies, crappie, Bluegill, yellow perch and channel cats on brownlee. There is also some monster carp in that water. However it has been several years since I have been there so who knows - but if I lived closer to Brownlee I sure would find out.

Tim

Is this the thread? it might help nonetheless

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...light=boise%2C

My family visits the Boise area every couple of years. Never fished for panfish though. You might try the park ponds that are found up and down the greenbelt: veterans park ponds, Eagle Island park pond, etc. Don't know about canoe access on those ponds.

You will love it in Boise, except for the traffic.

Soloman, that's the one. Nice job! Thanks!

I did take a look at one of the Veteran's Park ponds. It looked pretty good but I'll have to be content with fishing it from the bank; you must hike a fair ways to reach it and I don't want to carry my 52-lb. canoe over my head that far.

I also looked at the pond at Park Center Park. That one I can put my canoe on easily, but before doing so I'll check with the Parks Dept. to see if it's legal.

It stands to reason that all of the ponds and lakes found in the Boise River floodplain are vestiges of old sand and gravel pits. As such they're probably quite deep. Wish now I'd brought my portable fish finder out from Kansas; that device would have enabled taking depth soundings. Oh well.

Thanks again, Soloman.

Joe

Joe, you left a couple weeks too soon! These guys are finally in the rocks:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMGP1133.jpg

I was almost thinking they weren't going to run this year.

Good luck on the fishing up there and keep us all posted!

Tim
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Tim,

I know it, I know it, I know it: I left northeast Kansas on the cusp of the springtime fishing action explosion. Painful to think about, but there wasn't any way around it.

Hope you and "Wyo-Blizzard" were able the other day to rip into 'em out at "lake A" and/or "lake B".

I'm still as ignorant about the Boise area's fishing scene as I was the day got here. No doubt I've missed out on some good local action but I've been just too busy getting settled in at #1 son's house to do any serious scouting (or abject begging to strangers in sports shops). It's a very pleasant but altogether different reality here, living in southwest Idaho; I'm not getting any traction yet in the fishing department. But once I do...

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

+ Reply to Thread