+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Advice-Rods

Quote Originally Posted by vonMunchausen View Post
    I am a novice, highly desireable of going up the learning ladder as effectively and as quickly as possible. I have an entry level LL Bean rod, with which I am able to perform an acceptable roll cast, as well as a good tight looped cast up to 40 feet. I'm holding off on on further distance until I improve the accuracy.

I am looking ahead to my next rod, and am seeking your advice for when I purchase it. I would appreciate any advice from the deep well of knowledge, out 'there'.

Thanks,
    vonMunchausen

You don't say anything about the weight or length of your LL Bean rod, but casting 40 ' is good. In all my years of fly fishing I've caught the vast majority of fish within 40'! And I began with one rod that suited my needs for years to come. As I got better and better with that one rod, my fancy turned to other rod lengths and line sizes. As already said, what kind of fishing are you doing?

My present rod repertoire list runs fron 7 1/2 to 9 foot and line weight from 4 to 9. Now, I've tried shorter rods but they don't fit ... same for 10' rods. Now, I know of others who like the shorter and long lengths. But my point is that I went on to the different rods after I had a good handle on my starter.

Dale

I bought an LL Bean combo for my first combo, the rod is a Streamlight 8'6" 5 Wt. I like "stuff" and as a result I've bought about a dozen more fly rods & reels since that first one and ya know what? That Bean 5 Wt. is not only my favorite, it covers 95% of the fishing that I do. My point, or to answer your advice seeking question is this: if you're a gear head like myself and so many fly fishers are, try to do the impossible and restrain from the urge to buy, buy, buy. Learn to cast, fish and read water. Keep it simple and enjoy the moments on the water instead of worrying about "what can I buy next".
    Tom.

Talking

I've been fly fishing for a while but I'm always and still learning. My first rod/reel were a Cortland duo given as a departing gift by some truly good friends. I've outgrown that rod but still have it. Compared to todays offerings, it feels like a broom. My newest discovery is an Albright A-5 4wt/9ft/5pc rod- a Medium/Fast action rod. It is an absolute value. I own a very nice Sage SLT and a Winston BIIX (both Medium/Fast)and those rods definitely produce some beautiful casts. I mention this as a reference because that new Albright casts just as beautifully and effortlessly as both those high dollar rods. Do a google search on reviews on the Albright and you'll see what some pros had to say. I just smile as I see that 4wt fly my offering 70-80ft then drift down. The best part is... if your lucky you'll find some company overstock MSRP at $225 going for $135! That is the best deal of all! I myself will be buying another A-5 in a 5 wt this time to compliment my other faster winston rod. I do not have stock in that company, but this rod has to be cast to be believed. BTW, catching fish, only you can do that...

+ Reply to Thread