+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice-Rods

1. Default Need Advice-Rods

I am a novice, highly desireable of going up the learning ladder as effectively and as quickly as possible. I have an entry level LL Bean rod, with which I am able to perform an acceptable roll cast, as well as a good tight looped cast up to 40 feet. I'm holding off on on further distance until I improve the accuracy.

I am looking ahead to my next rod, and am seeking your advice for when I purchase it. I would appreciate any advice from the deep well of knowledge, out 'there'.

Thanks,
    vonMunchausen

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, and that's enough!"

I would like to think of myself as a fly fisherman, but many times I can best be described as a collector of fly fishing equipment. I've purchased more gear than any one man should or needs to. I've even tried to justify it as needing equipment for the whole family so that we can all fly fish.

With that background, which translates into buying 8 rods and 10 reels in under a year, think of an outfit as your next outfit and not your last outfit.

Buy something in your price point that fills a hole in your arsenal. If you already own two 5 weights, your next rod would be better off filling a niche like a 3 wt or a 7wt instead of another 5 wt. Instead of owning a 4, 5 and a 6 wt, I think that you would be better served owning a 3, 5 and a 7 wt outfit. Much of it depends on where you live and what your pursue. I see some guys who want to buy a 9', 5 wt, then they want an 8' 6", 5 wt then an 8', 5 wt. But for a guy that is just starting out buy equipment that fills a requirement. Later in your collection, after you have a number of outfits, you very well might have multiple rods in your favorite wt with different actions. Personally own 3, 4 wts.

One last comment and that is instead of paying $500 on a rod and $300 on a reel only to fill it with $10 line, you are better off spending $150 on a rod and $100 on a reel and $60 on the line. The numbers are relative. Just don't buy and expensive bow and shoot cheap arrows.

I try to buy expensive equipment but never at list. Last year's models fish just fine. Have fun

Cool What is your fishery?

If we know what you are fishing, type of fish/size, for and the general conditions (small stream, river, lake, shoreline) we could make better suggestions.

Lady Fisher is right, of course...........
    If we know, WHERE you fish.
    WHAT you fish for.
    WHAT you wish/can afford to spend.
    Are you also including a REEL with this upgrade?
    Are you also including a LINE with this upgrade?
    THEN, I think, members here are better able to give you more accurate advice!
    Happy to help, just need better information!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bought a $29.00 closeout Orvis Streamline 5wt rod (actually 2 of them)when I started out 2 years ago. I've tried other rods but this one I just love. I've caught rainbows, browns, steelhead, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill, crappie, rock bass, drum and more on it. I wouldn't any sooner buy a $500 rod as buy swamp land in Florida.
    I do use a Redington RS3 4wt that I like a lot also. To me it was "expensive" at $95.00!

I am the anti-expensive rod man! I see no need for it. If I can learn to catch all those fish on a fly rod in much less than 2 years I'd say a 'cheap' rod is just fine.

Save your money and get a nice kayak instead!! I'd recommend a Native Ultimate(not cheap, but very nice!).
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 05-07-2008 at 02:16 AM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

"Generally",,, the more you pay for any rod the easier it is to fish with at any given distance.

All the advice above is good---the one thing that you might consider is taking some instruction from an accredited instructor. Many times, they will furnish rods and you can try some different rods while learning at the same time. The instructor can give you some direction also and help suggest rods that will suite your situation and purpose while not "selling you up". There are so many things to learn and improve on that instruction can help more than a new outfit can.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Good advise SH. Back when we had our school we had (actually G.Loomis GL-3) 12 identical 9ft, 6wt rods all with identical reels and lines, that we taught with. After the full days instruction we laid out on the grass, 17 rods; 9ft, 6wt rods all different brands and types,,, but all with identical lines and reels. This really let the students see and feel the differences between rods.

Yes - read what Clay said and do that!

Also get lessons and then get a rod later; that's what i wish I had done.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    "Generally",,, the more you pay for any rod the easier it is to fish with at any given distance.

Yeah like.............far, far away from it
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread