+ Reply to Thread

Thread: problem dying mallard flank

Default problem dying mallard flank

I have been messing around with dying my own materials, using A.K. Best's excellent book as a guide. While I have had very good results with lots of materials (hackles, feather quils, marabou, rubber legs, furry foam, etc.) I am having trouble with mallard flank.

On mallard flank the colors come out very pale. I would like to get something much more intense.

I am dying small batches in just 1 cup of water, heated in the microwave and then set on a small hot plate. I typically use about 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp of liquid RIT dye per cup of water, with 1 tsp of vinegar per cup. The mallard feathers have been degreased with ivory dish soap. While most hackles will take a good color in an hour or so the mallard doesn't take much color even when left overnight.

I see lots of dyed mallard in the shops with deep color intensity, so I know it must be possible...

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Ken

Blog Entries

Not an experienced dyer, so take this accordingly.

Mallard flank likely is very oily, and those oils may be preventing the dye from entering the feather. To test this, you might try washing a couple feathers in dishwashing detergent (Dawn works well) or a perfume and dye free laundry soap (Arm and Hammer, Tide), using hot water, to reduce the oils in the feathers. Dry thoroughly, and then dye.

Of course, if you WANT the oils in it, that is a problem.

Hi kengore; I think the problem is thet you are not getting rid of the oil in the flank feathers.

I had similar trouble getting intense colours untill a pal told me to Degrease using the tablets used in Dish Washing Machines. Worked a treat. Just did what I had always done but with the Magic Bullet from the washing Machine in place of detergent. Hope this helps. Have Fun. Jax

4. Default

RIT is useful, but I think it's your problem this time. Many of the vibrant colors you see in dyed materials are from Aniline (sometimes called "Acid" or "Coal Tar") dyes. You can purchase these in a variety of locations, they're designed to dye protein - where RIT is a fabric dye.

They used to be sold by under the Veniard label - sometimes they're available at fly shops - but usually not. I use Muriatic Acid to fix the color, it's a 10% hydrocloric solution sold to clean swimming pools.

Some useful information is available at http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/aboutdyes.shtml

Thanks for the suggestions..

I tied adding some laundry detergent to the last batch and it helped. Sounds like I need to look into some acid dyes.

Kengore,

I have successfully used red onion skins as a dye. In the produce department of the grocery store the clerk will usually allow you to get all the loose skins you would need. Get a pretty good amount -- skins from probably 12 onions, take them home and boil them for about 15 minutes. Turn down heat, (just below boiling point) get rid of onion skins and add feathers. Let them soak (cook) for about 20 munites. The result is a pretty good wood duck lemon yellow. I've never had to de-grease feathers with this approach. It's simple, cost-effective, and doesn't stink up the house very much. Yellow onion skins basically have the same color result. Also, I do not add vinegar to the onion skins to make the color set; I do add vinegar when I'm using acid dyes.

Good luck,
    Greg

Deezel Guest

Per gqualls - I too have used onion skins, both red and yellow, with good results. Stripped quills dyed in a red onion bath will yield nice red quills. I haven't used red skins to dye mallard because I use wood duck.

Deezel

Rit dyes are not made for protien substrates, acid dyes are. You have to watch your temps. Around 140 degrees F should do it. Washing feathers with any detergent will help if the feathers are dirty. Any liquid detergent in the dye bath is necessary. A couple drops in the quantity you are using. I would be concerned that in such a small amount of dye bath on a hot plate you risk burning the feathers.
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

jcntheriver Guest

Default wood duck yellow dyed feathers no problem

2 Minutes in the microwave with 4 drops of food color and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar and 1/3 cup water Heres the results:http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...fsfiles182.jpg

Jeff

I seem to have problems with some of the material suggestions I read on FAOL. I think this is because I am all thumbs - so I figured that jcnriver's recipe would be no different. Well I had to use rice vinegar instead of white vinegar but it made no difference. The feathers came out dyed a nice woodduck yellow.

Thanks, Tim

+ Reply to Thread