Hello Chris; I recently refinished an old steel baitcasting rod for a customer. This rod was a hand-me-down from his grandfather and was in unfishable shape having all but 1 guide lost and the tip top badly bent. (the guides back then were wound onto the blank with very fine wire) The fellow wanted to know it's value........really only sentimental value to him is what I advised him, but made him aware that it can be brought back to fishable life by refurbishing/rebuilding it. The original (likely lead based) paint was soooo far gone the rod looked like crap, so I took on the task of stripping the old paint and repainting to closely match the original colour. I found that ScotchBrite was the perfect pad to remove the paint without actually abrasive sanding and it prepped the steel blank really nice for repainting. Worked great!! I cleaned the new surface with rubbing alcohol then repainted the blank with a matt finish spray paint called Krylon.........dries in 12 minutes to a durable finish. When rebuilt with new Perfection guides and tip top, the rod looked beautiful and certainly blew the fellow's mind when he arrived a few weeks later to pick it up. I was quite happy with the refurbish job, for it put new life into an already antique piece of sport fishing history.