+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting latex?

Blog Entries

Default Cutting latex?

how do you all do it? ive heard in alot of places where people use latex gloves cut into strips for bodies, and ive tried cutting it myself, but it always either ends up very sloppy or i just cant do it. so what are youre techniques?
    thanks

DDRRedneck500,
    I use a steel ruler and a x-acto knife
    G

Blog Entries

Don

Mighty try one of those rolling cutters with the hard plastic board to cut on, the ones that look like pizza cutters?

I have used three methods with some success...

1. Layer it between pieces of paper and cut with sharp scissors or exacto blade, the paper helps keep the latex from stretching and moving about.

2. Roll the latex into a tight tube, cut strips by slicing cross sections with sharp razor blade. The tighter the roll the easier it is to cut

3. Use a rotary cutter. These are rotating disk blades used for cutting cloth, look for them wherever quilting supplies are sold. I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow one from my wife.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post
    I have used three methods with some success...

1. Layer it between pieces of paper and cut with sharp scissors or exacto blade, the paper helps keep the latex from stretching and moving about.

2. Roll the latex into a tight tube, cut strips by slicing cross sections with sharp razor blade. The tighter the roll the easier it is to cut

3. Use a rotary cutter. These are rotating disk blades used for cutting cloth, look for them wherever quilting supplies are sold. I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow one from my wife.
    i really youre first idea with the paper. that was my main problem; it kept stretching when i was trying to cut it, making it exremely difficult. thanks for the advise

Smile

I use the rolling fabric cutter mentioned above that you can purchase in most sewing depatment in craft stores. I cut rubber gloves latex and foam. Use a metal straight edge to hold the material down while cutting. You will never go back to scissors for strip cutting. BILL

Default Roll It

I use the rolling cutter after trying many other methods. You have the best control over the width with no pulling of the material. One of the small ones with the mat is very cheap and can be used for many other materials as well.

TxEngr

I've tried all the rolling cuters and the paper thing, even used light grip contact paper and tape to hold the stuff while I cut it. All were iffy for me at best.

Rolling the stuff by itself is tough to do evenly.

However, if you roll it tightly around a round toothpick, round drink stirrer, or even a drinking straw, it's much easier to do and it cuts 'cleaner'. Just use a sharp razor blade and cut straight through all of it.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I use scissors to cut mine, it sometimes stretches but I cut slowly and let it all hang loose. I only have latex gloves but this method works fine for me. I like your method's Kengore, but I do not have a roller cutter - which is a shame...... maybe something to get in the future.

Jeanne

Deezel Guest

The best method I've found is to EVENLY roll up the material and slice with 1/2 of a double edge razor. Break the razor into two pieces along its length. This makes it a little easier to use. Just roll about 5 inches of rubber and carefully cut it. You may not get a perfectly straight line but it'll be good enough.

Deezel

+ Reply to Thread