+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Salmon Reel

Default A Good Salmon Reel

I am restocking some items this years fishing season. One item I just do not know where to start is a salmon reel. I will be fishing Atlantics here in Newfoundland and would like a decent reel that will do the job right. I don't want to spend over $150-200 for the reel. What is good in this price range? I do not know much about reels and need some of your professional opinions.

Thanks everyone

Phil

I like my Billy Pate for Salmon - anti reverse sometimes comes in handy when you are chasing fish downstream over rocks and stuff. But that's out of your price range. I use it with a 10 foot Orvis 8 weight or a 9 wt.

I have a Sage 1800 series I use on salt with an FLi rod. It's okay and in your price range - not terribly elegant but I haven't had a fish complain. I'd also look at the Cabelas XSS. Looks like a nice reel for the money but I haven't used one. I have also caught a ton (not literally) of steelhead on Ross reels (older Cimmeron and Evolution).

As long as they have a solid reel seat and a decent rim to palm on, almost anything will work. You usually set the drag so that a sudden lunge or jump (sometimes they do) by the fish won't break you off. Any extra drag you need - plan on using the rim and the palm of your hand. Most salmon get to the reel sooner or later. Sometimes well into the backing if they are headed downstream with viggor and you can't keep up.

Godspeed,

Bob

Phil,

My work horse reels (loaners and renters) are Cortland 120 LTD's. They are spooled up on 8 or 9 wts with plenty of backing to spare. They aren't large arbor, but they hold up well. A tad touchy to line up the cogs when changing spools, but I rarely change spools for Atlantics.

One finally had a bushing go last year, but I figure a 20$ bushing after +12 years of abuse is not too bad. For 6-7 wt I have Okuma Magnitude. A bit less backing, but they serve more in warmer temps, less drawn out fight on heavier tippets (found one at CanadianTire)

There's another thread open on this at:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=19393

Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by fcch; 04-30-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    Christopher Chin

Oh, and one more thing. Make sure you have the backing well anchored to the reel - pull hard to test. And make sure your nail knot or whatever is well fastened at the backing/flyline intersection. Again, pull hard to test. Make sure it's smooth so it will not snag up in the guides going out at a good clip. Coat with Loon UV or similar to make it smooth.

Bob

Have a look in sportscraft on water street they carry Sage, SA, Pflueger. The Blue Charm on Waterford bridge road has Teton, Ross, Hardy, SA and soon Lamson. WW doak...............has a nice on-line selection they are located in NB.

Hi there,

I use a Teton Tioga #8 for my Atlantic Salmon fishing on the Miramichi. It works perfectly, lots of drag and capacity.

Check out W.W. Doak in Doaktown, they are great to deal with (not affiliated, just a very happy customer).

Dwight

Phil : I'd recommend you have a look at Scientific Anglers System 2 reels . They're well made and will last a lifetime if cared for . My oldest System 2 is about 22 years old and still works perfectly ........Frank

Fly Tyer...I wish I had known you were in the market about a month ago. The GreenHighlander out here was selling their stock for killer prices, including Lamsons in your price range. If you want, I can try and get some prices from them now, but Ed (the owner) has gone to BC and I don't know the guy running the shop for him now.

Fly Tyer -

If you are still looking, take a look at Sierra Trading Post ( www.sierratradingpost.com ). Search item 97779 for a Lamson Radius 3.5 for an 8/9 wt for $129.xx and item 97780 for a Lamson Radius 4 for a 9/10 wt for $148.xx.

I just got the Radius 3 to go on a Sage Fli 7 wt and really like it. Don't get a lot of fish on the reel, but I am confident that the Lamson will handle any fish I hook into.

The owner of our local fly shop, Jimmy's All Seasons Angler, gives the entire line up of Lamsons a very strong recommendation. His is a professional opinion.

John
    The fish are always right.

10. Default

Phil if you are in or around St. John's check out the Blue Charm on Waterford Bridge Road they have quite a selection of Lampson, Hardy, & Ross reels to name a few, and I know several of them are in your price Range. The guy who ownes it also ties the best salmon flies I have seen on the east coast as well.

+ Reply to Thread