Wife, Janie said she's been hearing a turkey early in the morning just clucking away up behind the house on the hillside. I told her it's probably a hen on a nest. Got up this morn just after five for a bathroom break and shortly after I went back to bed heard a squeaking sound and thought it was the "Tillie" dog wanting to go out. Got up to investigate and it wasn't the dog. Back to bed. Still hearing a slight squeaking noise and thought this time it was Janie's cpap machine; but, nope. So, laid back down for about five minutes and this time I heard a distinct clucking noise and thought, alright, I'll sneak into the kitchen and look up on the hill and maybe I'll see a turkey. Figured if that didn't work I'd slip downstairs and get one of my turkey calls out and try a few soft clucks to see what happened. Looked out the kitchen double doors and what to my wondering eyes should appear but the cutest chocolate Lab puppy scurrying across the back deck and squealing and whimpering! Neighbors about a half mile down the road from us raise chocolate pure bred beautiful Labs. The pup was now at the high end of the deck peering over and I thought it might fall off and get badly hurt; so, I threw open the door and stepped out into the cold, windy and wet air; resplendent in my boxers. Then I remembered that the door would lock behind me; but, it was too late! Called for the pup and she came right to me tail just a wagging. Picked her up and she was cold and wet. Luckily, we keep a key outside in a hidey hole place; so, I was able to get back in right away. As soon as we were inside the pup settled down and snuggled up probably glad to be warm and inside. Decided to wake Janie up and went into the bedroom and touched her leg and said, "Wake up and see what I got." She woke out of a sound sleep and in the 6:00 am half light said, "What? What is it? " It's a cute chocolate Lab puppy I found out on the back deck." We wrapped the pup in a towel and she snuggled up and our two dogs and the new kitten were all agog at the new arrival. Janie got some dog food and the pup started eating out of her hand and then from one of the bowls. She had a little taste of milk that was in a bowl for the kitten and then I showed her where the water was and she had a big drink. Picked her back up, wrapped her in the towel and she promptly sighed and fell asleep. Janie knew that our neighbors next door knew the folks name that raised the pups and we debated calling at 6:15; but, Ralph said he was awake and said they didn't have any pups. However, his wife also woke up and said yes they actually had eight new ones. They gave us the neighbors name and we looked up the number in the book; but, when Janie called it a recording said the number was no longer in service. So, we got dressed and Janie drove us down the road to the Lab owners house. As we pulled up to the side of the house three huge Labs came running around the corner of the house and, soon, right behind came a lady in a robe with no slippers on. It was still wet and windy and starting to slightly mist now. When she saw me with the pup asleep wrapped in the towel she was ecstatic. "Where did you find her?" Told her the story and she said the pup had gone outside with the big dogs when they visited a trash pile near their house and apparently got lost since yesterday. Janie said she saw something black? up in the tall grass and weeds behind the house yesterday afternoon about five and thought it was one of the two black and multicolored cats we see around here every now and then. Bet it was the pup. Totally forgot to snap a photo of the pup. She is really cute; but, will be like mom and dad in the future, which means about half horse size cute!!! Lady asked where we lived and told up the road in the white house. Was surprised she didn't ask our name; but, she seemed greatly relieved to get the pup back. Said they'd looked all over for it; but, we were home all day and nobody came up the road looking or asking about it. If it was my pup, let alone as valuable as it is, I'd have been knocking on all the neighbors doors and putting out the word. Would also have had the momma on a leash trying to track the baby. They better be glad we found the pup cause she could have fetched a pretty price if someone else found her and decided to sell it. When full grown you can just about throw a saddle on these bruisers. The three big 'uns at the house were sure glad to see the pup back home. Glad they all didn't jump up on me at once though.

And that's the grand adventure for the day; so far. Sorry for the long tale.

"Dick & Jane's Lost Granimal Service"