+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild turkey feathers

Default Wild turkey feathers

Just got a whole skin from my realtors wild turkey so does any one have some patterns that use them? WAs thinking maybe a wtn but open to suggestions.
    thanks
    Tom

The Muddler Minnow and the Thief come to mind. Grasshopper patterns or other terrestrial patterns also.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Smile

I know this is not quite what you meant, but here is an old salmon pattern,
    it is a 19th century fly from the Clyde/Tweed. This is the type uaws by the
    old time pro's, before all the fancy exotic patterns were invented for the tourists.
    Use a smaller modern hook and substitute modern dubbings, it is not
    a complicated fly.

Black Turkey
    Thread - Black
    Tail - GP Topping
    Butt - Yellow mohair
    Rib - Gold tinsel
    Body - Dark Mauve pig's wool
    Shoulder - Black mohair
    Hackle - Black hackle palmered down body.
    Wing - A Black feather with a white tip

[
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 04-24-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I found that Turkey fiber rapped on a hook like a pt nymph or teeny nymph make a nice buggy pattern for trout flies.
    Ghost
    your only limited by your imagination.

Hi Tom,

As was mentioned above, fibers from the tail feathers can be used just like those from a pheasant tail feather for a "pheasant tail" nymph. It makes a darker color nymph than the true pheasant tail. Good nymph.

The tail feathers are also good for the wingcases on nymphs such as a pheasant tail, Kaufmanns black stonefly nymph, etc.

Also mentioned above, the mottled turkey secondary flight feathers, which are found right next to the body on the wings, are the feather of choice for such flies as the muddler, as well as wings for hoppers. Wonderful stuff, mottled turkey.

Regards,

Gandolf

Whisky Fly. Nothing but wild turkey marabou. Tie in the bou tail, twist the rest into a rope, wrap it up the hook shank and tie off. Tie in some more bou and wrap for a collar. Use bead head if desired. I tie in from size 10 to size 4. Catches gills, crappies, both small and largemouth bass, as well as carp. Oh yea I guess you could use it for trout if so inclined.

Kevin

Blog Entries

The AK Fly Fishers were given a huge pile of frozen skins complete with wings and tails and I volunteered to clean and dry them... They were frozen in wetted newsprint and it was a freaking mess! I washed them in the sink and fleshed them, then dried with a blow drier to fluff them up. After a dusting of borax I spread them to dry...

Anyway, to help them sell at our annual auction I tied a box of lfies with them... SOme I got to that have not been mentioned include using the flats for wings on thorax flies as they were the original use; Muddlers in dry, wet and maribou versions; Tent wing caddis; And several more...
    art

Blog Entries

In addition to what's been mentioned, the wing primaries have great biots. They can be used as is or dyed.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Might I suggest taking a look at this article on the ringneck pheasant as a source of feathers. With whole turkeys there ought to be some analogies that could be drawn, some inspirations to be had.

Old classic wet flies could be tied up with turkey wing sections utilized.

Donald, in that pattern you gave, what would you sub. for pigs wool - and where on a pig did they get the wool from? was it male or female? body hair or male scrotum (pardon me here) hair / wool. that is one thing i have never heard of before.

Also, that whole skin sounds wonderful - do have fun with them Tom, I am just dribbling like crazy here......

Jeanne

+ Reply to Thread