Great read by LF this week titled Missed the Turn!

I guess as a person who makes every effort to take care of my tackle from $20 spinning reels to $$$ bamboo rods; I have a hard time understanding why everyone isn't like me. Maybe that's why I never made a warranty claim on any "bulletproof" rod for any problem attributable to me or made ANY claim on any rod or reel before the guarantees.

I CRINGE when I see somebody stringing up a rod with the reel or butt sitting on the gravel or concrete of a parking area and I see that almost EVERY time I fish. I also shake my head when I see a combo laid on rocks or gravel for a photo op or a rod tip hanging out of a car window. BTW - the offenders are ALL ages which confuses me as well since I'd expect to see it less from older and wiser anglers.

I realize that many consider their tackle to be somehow more noble with "battle scars" but I prefer the scars of my battles to be ingrained in my memory not engraved on my rod blank. Yea I know it's your stuff and you can do with it as you choose but at least in my case I also realize that despite the guarantee I enjoy on most of my rods; the fact that many are no longer current models means any replacement WON'T be the same rod. Unlike a lot of anglers I chose specific brands and actions for a reason other than marketing hype and the thought of a newer, flashier, snappier replacement makes me guard some of my graphite like a Garrison.

Maybe all new fishermen should be forced to buy their first outfit with the money earned by cutting lawns in the middle of summer at $4 a pop regardless of size or difficulty. Add that $4 cutting; raking, trimming with hand trimmers and sweeping with a broom followed by a long walk home pushing the mower while carrying the rake, broom, trimmers, AND the gas can.

Sorta made me want to take care of that Garcia 408 and Eagle Claw Trailmaster I bought with my lawn cutting money as a punk kid with wide eyed awe and the anticipation of owning something that I would treasure the rest of my life.

I still have both, looking as fresh and new as the day I bought them with more "mental" battle scars than any other tackle I own.

Funny thing is; that 30+ year old Eagle Claw rod HAS a "Lifetime Unconditional Warranty"! But after busting my tail cutting those lawns for the cash needed to buy it...

...it never crossed my mind back then that I would ever need it.