Delightful weather today. Thought I would check out a section of the lower Henry's Fork that I fished last fall with very good results. It is below St. Anthony, and is very different from the upper stretches. This has proven to be brown trout water, almost exclusively. Out of well over a hundred fish I caught in this stretch last fall, only two were rainbows, the rest browns.

Upstream from my access.

Looking downstream.

Fished here from about 12:30 to 3:30, with the Pine Squirrel Cheater on a Class II full sinking line with a 9 foot 1X leader. Got some action in the first spot I fished, a small slot about half way across the river. Picked up a small brown and had a couple hits that did not connect.

Worked my way downstream about half a mile, hitting water that looked good. It was slow, but fairly steady, with mostly smaller browns, like 8-12", quite a few hits, and several fish in the 13-14" bracket.

The water was very clear, and the flows are low right now so wading is quite easy, except there are a few spots where you have to be careful not to get into deeper and faster water without a safe out. Almost made that mistake here a couple times last fall - didn't get wet, but sure thought I was going for a swim a couple times.

There was a strong midge hatch going on, mixed with quite a few blue wing olives. But very few fish up, not enough to go to a dry fly.

Ended up with a dozen or so fish in hand, several that escaped enroute, and quite a few hits, enough to keep it interesting. Will probably give it another go in the next week or so to see if it gets a good hatch with fish up. If it isn't any better than it was today, will probably just save it for the fall.