So today was the first day I was able to wade in Shoal Creek. I could have done it sooner, but being the broke person I am, I lack the waders to do it when it's cold.

I walked through the yard today, hoping that the creek would be warm enough to wade in. I walked by a bluebird house I built and checked up on my tenants while I was on my way to the creek. That was the first good news. The young bluebirds are getting some blue in their wings now. Hard to believe it began with five little blue eggs. Back to the fishing.....

I got to the creek and stepped in. A little cold shocked me at first, but I decided immediately that it would be bearable and the fish would definitely be biting with the water that temperature. I had a Royal Coachman tied on that I bought and started casting. I didn't get anything except a few little tugs from minnows for the first 50 yards from my yard. It picked up after that with a few small bluegill about 5 to 6 inches.

As I got down a little farther, I noticed a dead sucker fish laying on the bottom of the creek bed. Looked like it had been chewed at the tail. I had tied on WarrenP's WOW (or something similar), and cast next to some rocks under an elm that was hanging over the water and BAM! I had a good heavy strike. As I brought the fish in closer, I noticed another fish following the one I had hooked. It was a pair of Rock Bass and I had hooked one. If you haven't hooked one of these, they are fighters. I had almost had the RB up to me and it took off, straight toward the bank. I gave it no slack as it bent the tip of the 5wt rod parallel to the water. After a few more strips on the line, I had the Redeye in my hand. It was about 8-9 inches.

I held it in my hand as I unhooked it and said, "Well look at you! You're a nice one!" If it would have had eyelids and the ability to talk, it would have winked at me and said, "I know." I released it and it high-tailed it back to it's shaded spot next to the bank.

I got a few more bluegills after that and saw some nice splashes and a water snake, but the Rock Bass made it so much better. Hopefully I'll have batteries in my camera next time.