+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite fly fishing tip!

Talking What's your favorite fly fishing tip!

I love to run across little tips and suggestions that seem to make a world of difference and make things go smooth. I actually have two I'd like to post.
    1. The super glue knot: I picked this one up at a fishing store. Soak the last 1/2 inch of your flyline in nail polish remover to soften the plastic coating. Use your fingernails to scrape the 1/2 inch off leaving the braided core. Use a bodkin to open up the hollow core a bit. snip a tiny bit off of your tapered leader at an angle and push it up into the core until it just begins to go into the section that still has the plastic coating, it won't go much further than that. Then simply put a couple of drops of zapagap on the exposed braided core. It will wick straight through the braid to the leader butt. When it dries, it's not going anywhere! I don't change tapered leaders that much so it works great for me and is a perfectly seamless transition.

2. the simplest are sometimes the best! LOL When putting the flyline through your guides, double ver teh tip of the flyline and push it through the guides. If you drop it like I do after every other quide, it won't slip back through all the guides.

I can't wait to hear what everyone else has come up with to make thingd EASIER! LOL
    Last edited by Harebear; 04-26-2008 at 01:43 AM.
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

I posted this years ago but will do so again....Fill up with gas the day BEFORE your fishing so as not to retain that awfully offensive gas odor on your hands.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

If you really want to enjoy your casting on any given day. "Leave The Jerk at Home" Jax

Blog Entries

1. Mend mend mend mend mend mend
    2. Fish where you think you should stand, and stand where you think you should be fishing. Or better yet, fish it all, and don't stand in any of it.
    3. Toys are not a substitute for skill.

• For stowing those bits and pieces of tippet you clip off I use a film canister which I use an Xacto blade to cut an 'x' in the lid. I then push the waste pieces through the x as in x marks the spot.
    • Always carry a spare hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and lip balm in the car.
    • Always tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return.
    • Carry dryer sheets in a zip lock bag for use when those blood buzzards come out. I use a safety pin to attach the sheets to the shoulders of my vest.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

That's easy! Fish with a guide!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I keep an extra pocket open on my vest for storing clippings. Do this instead of throwing it in the water and it will help the fish that don't get caught on your fly.

Bring a camera. It makes it easier for people to believe you.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

bring your kids.....
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

Harebear;
    That Super Glue knot seems like a lot of work! Try the Castwell Knot and a furled leader!!
    Learning to backcast between the trees behind you makes for a much better forecast! (watching your backcast is not a sin!!)
    Carry an onion bag if you really want to pick up trash. (rainbowchaser taught me that!)
    Distance is fine but placement is better.
    Never, never take your eye off the fly or the indicator!
    Keep your hooks sharp and barbless!
    Learn to cast with your off hand or over the off hand shoulder! (it can keep 2 guy's in a boat friendly!)
    Keep your false casts to a minimum and if you must, not over the spot you want the fly to land!
    Always, and I mean always, respect the waters you are fishing and the fish you are catching.

Blog Entries

I forgot this one.

Conventional wisdom is a starting point, not a rule.

Mato, I just did the math. If I fished with a guide (well, paid for one), it would cost me 94% of my annual income each year. Gross income.

Saturday morning, clear and cold and NICE outside. Off to the outdoors....

+ Reply to Thread