+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to fly fishing tips?

Blog Entries

Smile New to fly fishing

K Schumacher,

You are getting some really good advice here. Snowranch hit it right on the nail head.

Join a fly fishing club, that is the single best thing you can do for yourself. When you join, don't be a wall flower, get in there and ask questions and talk to people. A good club will have classes on casting and fly fishing and fly tying.

You have two clubs in Madison, however one may be just a fly tying club. The other one has a website listed but it is not working. So, see if you can find a way to contact them.

Madison, SPRING CREEK FLY TYERS
    Madison, BADGER FLY FISHERS

Another very good thing to do is check in at the local fly shop. Doing a check in the yellow pages I see one promising possibility for a fly shop of sorts, the other places are bait sellers. Try Bobs Rod & Reel at 1949 Winnebago St Madison.

As for rods, some people really love bamboo but as pointed out, not knowing the conditions of the rods nor their weight size, your best bet is to buy a starter kit. This will be a graphite rod (that is all I use) and the kit should contain the rod, reel, line, and maybe a leader. There are some really inexpensive kits at some of the big box stores, but sometimes those rods cast like broom handles.

You don't have to buy really expensive rods, but once you get into fly fishing you may want to cast a few of them, they are expensive for a reason, they are really good rods.

However, start smaller and work up. You will want a 5 weight or 6 weight rod that is 9 foot in length. That is the standard trout fly rod. If you are going to only be fishing brushy small streams then a shorter rod would be good, but for larger streams, rivers, and lakes, go with a 9 foot 5 or 6 weight. I would opt for the 6 weight if you think you may end up chucking big streamers or heavy nymphing outfits. If that doesn't make sense to you don?t worry about it, it will eventually.

A decent starter combo will run you a little money, here are some combo outfits you can buy from Cabela's:

Some suggestions: Sage Launch fly rod and a Cabela's Prestige Plus reel for $260.

TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) Series One fly rod and Three Forks Combo for $170.

St. Croix Reign Fly rod Prestige Plus combo for $200.

St. Croix Triumph fly rod Prestige Plus Combo for $140.

Echo Classic fly rod Three Fork Reel Combo for $190.

Redington Crosswater Rod and outfit for $99.

Redington Red Fly2 Rod and outfit for $199.

Check with your local fly shop and see if he can set you up with a beginners kit that fits in that price range.

Join a club, contact your fly shop, get instruction in casting. Do that and you will really enjoy fly fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Sport King... from Montgomery-Ward

Yeah that looks right!

Thanks for every ones help. I will start looking for a starter setup and look in to some of the groups in madison.

I'm going to make a somewhat similar suggestion to Larry, but would not recommend that a beginner order a combo outfit from one of the Big Boxes.

I believe a new Orvis store opened in Madison. For the Driftless streams, a 6 weight is too much, IMHO. Go with a 4wt or 5wt - either 8'6" or 9' to start.

The Clearwater package (Clearwater is Orvis' lower, but still plenty good, line of rods) with rod, line, backing and reel will cost $275 - and will be more than enough for the nearby trout streams.

It costs more but for the extra price a) you'll develop some contacts who'll be able to answer questions in the future and b) they'll put the rig together for you. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody there can be hired out for a couple of hours to give a casting lesson or two, either.

A newbie book that people swear by is The Curtis Creek Manifesto. There are some good guide books for your area as well.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure where they fall, but global dorber has a starter kit, too.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

I can't let the Scientific Anglers special found at Wal*Mart be ignored. It is a fine outfit for $75 or less. I have one and I intend to get a couple of more, one for a loaner and one to bog down with some old, furled leaders that I found laying around. (I'd better do that soon, before Jack Hise strings me up with a furled leader.)

The S.A. outfit from Wally World should be given real consideration.

Ed, who listened to Superman

Search for my old articles titled "Newbie's Journey". I went through a lot of the same experiences you're going through. In fact, I'm STILL going through those same experiences.

I made a lot of mistakes my first season and I tried to write about my experiences and what I learned. Eventually, the trout taught me what works.

I would say use what you have if possible,will always remember the first quail I killed with my Dads old Browning A5.Going to take Grandppas old shotgun and kill a squirrel with it.Then youngest son is going to do the same.Tie flies with squirrel hair ,then fry the squirrels for supper.If this is hijacking sorry.

Sage fisher's advice about inexpensive rigs is very good. I would add that as a beginning fly fisher try to avoid "fast action" rods. A medium to medium fast rod will be much easier to cast. I have a slow action rod and now that I understand how to cast a little bit I'm pushing the rod to do more than it can. That extra power is bending the rod too much causing crossed back loops which ties my leader into knots.

But a fast action rod is so stiff that it gives you very little feedback. When you're learning to cast this is just as bad. The guys at our local fly fishing club all suggest medium to medium fast rods for beginners to intermediate casters.

Besides, the fast action rods are more expensive.

Jason Borger's book "The Nature of Fly Casting" was very helpful for me. You can get it at Jason's web site jasonborger.com

My advice to you is to go fish. Its the best way to learn. We can give you advice, but experience is the best teacher. Try a gold ribbed hares ear nymph. It is an almost universal fly. Seems close to something evrywhere. Also a black wooly bugger. Those are good flies for most situations.

Good luck.
    jed

hutjensmpg Guest

I'd start out with a book called 'Essential Fly Fishing' by Meade. It tells you all the basics that are confusing at first, like what's a leader and what's a tippet.

I have a buddy in Madtown that started year before last. He goes to Fontana Sports, but I'm not exactly sure which branch. He likes it better than the Orvis store for tips and advice. Also, the Madison TU chapter does some educational things, but maybe not this far into spring.

I like the Cortland ready to fish outfits for a beginner. They cast very easily and have a video that comes with them about rigging and getting started.

Good luck and welcome to the sport!

+ Reply to Thread