+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAOL Tying contest!

Hybrid View

Default FAOL Tying contest!

The FAOL tying contest due date approaches! I encourage everyone to tie some flies and enter this contest. It is great fun, will make you a better tyer and someone will win! It might just be you!!!!!

Follow this link.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...08/rules08.php
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

The contest its great, but why not an open contest??? not only for salmon and steelhead, I would like to participate, but have no materials for salmon arund here in mexico, and to be honest we dont have salmon around here hehehehe

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I agree. Next year could we expand it to include a trout and warmwater catagory? Maybe Bass, Sunfish, and even a Saltwater catagory?

I lot of us live where there are no salmon or steelhead. We would have to buy the special materials just for the contest, and the extra would probably never get used (except maybe in swaps).

I would even be willing to pay an entry fee, if needed.

Deezel Guest

Just curious: The rules state that the flies submitted become the property of FAOL. How many are typically submitted, like last year for instance, and what happens to them? Also, I agree with the other posters, salmon flies tend to be works of art. How about a contest for some functionalfishing flies? Perhaps the catagories can be: a)trout; b)bass; and, c)saltwater?

Deezel

I'm really not sure on this, but the sponsors of the contest (those providing prizes) are producers of some very high quality salmon and steelhead fly tying materials. John McClain of FeathersMc.Com has everything the tier needs to dress those beautiful full dress classic and freestyle Atlantic Salmon flies, while Ronn Lucas Sr has some of the finest exhibition quality salmon and steelhead hooks around.

That may be one reason why it's a contest for salmon and steelhead flies. The other may be that both Ronn and John are dressers of very impressive salmon and steelhead flies.

Just as an aside, there are fly dressers all over the world that have no access to steelhead or salmon fishing that dress salmon and steelhead flies for the artistic qualities of the flies, the smoothness of the silk, the sweep of the toppings and tails, the texture and coloring of the married wings and so on.

If you want to take your fly tying to the next level, give these flies a try. You might surprise yourself and enjoy fly dressing at it highest art form.
    Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk; 04-24-2008 at 06:42 PM.

there is a difference in flies, the ones you fish with and the one you tye to impress your friend that tying is an art form in it self. I tye many free style and classic Atlantic patterns to give to good friends. I also tye fishing flies which I am quite free with, I find the discipline in tying Atlantic make me better tyer in the over all since. Most of the material I use can and do use for fishing fly's, check out the article for tying Atlantic here by Ronn Lucas, you don't need the fancy stuff to tye a nice Atlantic
    Ghost
    your only limitation is your imagination.

+ Reply to Thread