Thread: I Retain my title as "A Dorky Gampa"

Threaded View

Default I Retain my title as "A Dorky Gampa"

"Okay, you two can GO, but Samantha, you're going to clean up your ROOM when you get home don't forget!"
    "YEAHHHH! We're go'in fish'nin, Gampa, COOL!"
    We'd gotten a reprieve, by the warden(s),and in exchange, my Granddaughter, Sam and I, were being set free to go try a few new flies at the local lake behind the house.

"Gampa?"
    "Yes, Sam?"
    "Gampa, how, why, are YOU allowed to have such a messy awful room and YOU don't have to clean it up, before you can go fish'nin?"
    "I don't have a "messy, awful room", Peanut! If you're talking about "our fly fishing room", what's messy about it? Besides, your Gramaw's afraid to go in there, for some reason, so she never tells me to clean it up. Plus, it's not messy to begin with."
    Yes, it IS, Gampa! We couldn't even find my VEST, this morning, B'member? It was under some of your waders!"
    "It wasn't "LOST" Sam, I was keeping it hidden, so no one would see are "secret flies". That's why I put them on YOUR patch and not mine, then covered up your vest??.. so no one would see these flies and maybe steal them!"
    "Gampa, you're a dork, summ'er times".

Hmmmm. Well, regardless of my official status with my Granddaughter, we were on Cullaby Lake, trying out a new "type" fly that actually was thought up by and more or less "designed" by Sammy.
    It's "creation" is the main reason my tying room "looks messy" at the moment.
    It's a ridiculously easy fly to make/"tie"? and 90% of it comes from a bottle. Unlike a lot of flies, that I've come up with over the years though, THIS ONE has the fly made from a material from a bottle, instead of what went from a bottle, into the fly tier.

Sam has a craft paint called "Scribbles-Glittering Confetti-3D paint". While tying, Sam came to me with this bottle of her paint and told me, "Here, Gampa, try THIS on a hook!" Well, to make a long story, longer??? after an hour or so, of playing with this stuff and figuring out how to apply it to fly tying, Sammy and I came up with what we were pretty sure??. Would make a decent Crappie and Bluegill fly.

What we DIDN'T count on, however, was the effect it would have on TROUT!?

Pictured, below, is the largest of the 11 Trout we took on this "new fly". Sammy hooked it on her 3wt.she played it and I was "given permission to net it for her"!
    We also took 9 Crappie and 3 Bluegill, using this fly!

Granted, it's sort of weird looking, but it evidently WORKS, which is about all one can ask for, from any fly "that comes from a bottle",
    really!?

The "end result"

Last edited by flybinder; 04-23-2008 at 07:25 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson