You folks are going to love this video. When I was in the Air Cavalry one of the things that I loved to do was air shows, public displays and shows for the kids. Most crew chiefs did not like doing those shows because the aircraft can get really dirtied up and you must do a very, very careful inspection to make certain that no foreign objects have been deposited where they can cause an accident. I cannot even begin to tell you how it feels to put a child into the pilot's seat of your bird and watch as those eyes dilate wide open accompanied by a huge gasp with ear to ear grin. Well, watch the video and you will see lots of smiles:

http://www.wgal.com/video/15959531/index.html

It isn't all about war. My very first mission as a scout helicopter crew chief was to fly a search and rescue mission with my pilot. Two youngsters were on a outing on Fort Hood, Texas near Belton lake when the preteen boy and girl somehow got separated from mom and dad. That is some beautiful but remote territory there in the Texas Hill Country. Ft Hood is huge and covers a lot of rugged wilderness. There are rattle snakes (big ones), scorpions and tarantulas there that come out at night to feed. Also wild boar.

We flew out to our assigned search grid and commenced flying our zigzag search pattern. Just before night fall we spotted some movement on the ground. It was the little boy. He and his sister had hidden in the bushes until they heard they Army helicopter flying around. That's when the little boy moved and we spotted him. What a reunion that was! I have never been hugged so hard in my life. First by the kids, then by mom and dad! Lots of hand shakes and claps on the back too.

In later years that first mission would help me through the grief of losing some of my buddies by reminding me why we serve. In one shinning moment of time all was right with the world because two young, innocent folks were brought home safe and sound by those Army guys in their helicopter.

Sorry. I did not intend to ramble but I am damn proud of those service members in that video! AIR CAVALRY, SIR!