Mike/Eric, sorry I didn't call you guys, you'll see why at the end of my report.

Got out to Ohio this past weekend and decided to see if Trapper John's on the Darby was open (conditions are still sketchy).

The river was beautiful and I rented a kayak. I decided based on past experience to not bother with trying to control the boat and fly fish in moving water, so I floated and parked to fish likely spots.

For two hours I was skunked, even though I tried several patterns and types of water. The water was still fairly cold, so that combined with my late morning start on a very sunny day probably combined to make fishing for the smallies a little tough. I might have had some strikes, but the fish were definitely not cooperating like they have for me in the past.

I was about to throw in the towel, when I floated past a feeder and noticed some large fish milling around. Carp! I did a quick about face and entered the inlet. The carp spooked and entered the main flow, but I continued deeper into the inlet, parked, and quietly began the stalk. I started with a beadhead clouser swimming nymph... it took a while to get a good presentation to a couple of fish, but I missed the set (difficult to see the take in the sun and shadows). I decided to go with the old stand by bead head olive woolly bugger, which was a bit more visible. I missed one fish (the unusual occurrence of having the hooking coming out, usually once you hook a carp legitimately, they stay hooked), but then I watched a good 10 - 12 lber inhale the fly, gave it a quick count of one and set.

The fish quickly thrashed, and turned towards the main channel. I knew that if that fish got there, I wouldn't have a chance with my 5 wt, since I wouldn't even be able to follow him down the bank. But I forgot past experience, and this fish did not want anything to do with the moving water; on it's own it turned back to the feeder. I thought I had him at that point, but I also forgot how much pressure a decent fish can put on the 8 lb test I had been using for the smallmouth. Just like my biggest carp every broke my heart, this one did too. One quick thrash, and the line popped instantly. I should have given the fish a bit more slack, but the leader had gotten wrapped and I was trying to free it up.

I was stoked anyway, when carp fishing, hooking and losing a fish is success enough for me. To have had a shot at 4, was a great day.

Not 5 minutes later, a new channel caught me unaware and I got rolled in a tight spot, breaking my sunglasses, cell phone (had just taken it out of it's ziplock to make a quick call), and nearly my fly rod. Thankfully, it wasn't any colder, but I am still left with mixed emotions as to whether or not I had a good day. Perhaps if my cell phone wasn't due to be replaced, and if I didn't buy cheap sunglasses, it would have been a disaster, but overall, it was a nice day, some nice scenery, fishing was tough and then great. Yeah, I think it was a fine day.