+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fly fishing in Chicago area

I also, I would avoid the temptation of hitting the large forest preserve lakes (sloughs), such as Saganaskee, Tampier by you. Those get absolutely pounded by bucket fishermen.

Wink Chicagoland Fishing

FarmerJohn...........
    This site might give you the leads that you need:

http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php

Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Farmer John,
    First of all, I echo the "welcome" sentiment. Burr Ridge is about 45+ miles SE of Lake In The Hills where I and mine reside. There's really no braggin water anywhere near. After all, if the fishin WAS great, you'd be making a lot less money. There IS an inverse (income) proportion in effect here relative to fishing. If you want to fly fish pristine waters? faggetabboudit. As was mentioned in earlier posts,however, all is not lost. There is the "driftless" area of Wisconsin, Lake Michigan and subdivision ponds. We're not talkin Wyoming here but, in a pinch, it beats bowling.

I love the smallie fishing in the Fox. At normal water levels, it's quite wadable below the dams, and there are lots of fish. Smallmouths Unlimited has secured a catch and release period during the spawn. It's helped.

Chuck

Blog Entries

Default farmer john....

some nice links to get you on the right path.

BOTH are government sites.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/facilitie...s_mapping.html

http://infotrek.er.usgs.gov/traverse..._NAME:grin:ANE

Exclamation flyfishing in Chicago area

Farmer John, Welcome. I spent my kid days in Chicago. Then about 30 years in Frankfort. I retired to Lake of Egypt about 6 years ago. That is found about 300 miles south. LOE is one of the best bass lakes you can find in the midwest, but is a bit far to drive. 5 pound bass can make it seem worthwhile. For trout you need 3 hours to some beautiful little streams. 5 hours will put you on wonderful water like the Wolf near Langlade, WI. A similar rule of thumb applies to Michigan. First, you should attend the next meeting of Trout Unlimited. The Oakbrook Chapter is extremely active and meets at the Oak Brook Park Pavillion. That is close to you. I was one of the beginners there so have maintained my membership in that Chapter. If you want some contacts please let me know. Many of the grey haired members wll remember me and there will be many who would help you find some FF action. In fact, they hold one meeting a year which covers locations and FF opportunities.Check for their web site. Next meeting is May 21. Hang in and you will find some good times. All the best in this new chapter in your life. -Gerry L.

7. Default

Dick and Spinner - thanks for the linkies - should be helpful :thumbs:

I'm okay with non-pristine waters, the wadable parts of the Fox sound good, and I love smallmouth on fly rods. I'm okay with winter fishing too.

Gerry, I haven't even accepted the job or moved yet, but assuming I do, I may try to get some of those contacts from you. Nice to hear there is a TU outfit and fly fishing store nearby. That gives me some hope

+ Reply to Thread