Farmer John, Welcome. I spent my kid days in Chicago. Then about 30 years in Frankfort. I retired to Lake of Egypt about 6 years ago. That is found about 300 miles south. LOE is one of the best bass lakes you can find in the midwest, but is a bit far to drive. 5 pound bass can make it seem worthwhile. For trout you need 3 hours to some beautiful little streams. 5 hours will put you on wonderful water like the Wolf near Langlade, WI. A similar rule of thumb applies to Michigan. First, you should attend the next meeting of Trout Unlimited. The Oakbrook Chapter is extremely active and meets at the Oak Brook Park Pavillion. That is close to you. I was one of the beginners there so have maintained my membership in that Chapter. If you want some contacts please let me know. Many of the grey haired members wll remember me and there will be many who would help you find some FF action. In fact, they hold one meeting a year which covers locations and FF opportunities.Check for their web site. Next meeting is May 21. Hang in and you will find some good times. All the best in this new chapter in your life. -Gerry L.