+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod blank painting

Default Rod blank painting

This ought to make the hackles stand out on some necks ...

Elkhorn has rods for sale, in very limited sizes, that are raspberry, or hot pink, or brilliant blue. (they also have reels and lines in the pink tones, but I'm not thinking that far ... yet) My question is; how would one paint a rod blank (what paints, what technique) to achieve those colors? I have an Elkhorn 863, in the raspberry that I wrapped in a raspberry thread that is beautiful (you should see it in the sunlight!!), a true girlie rod, but I'd like one in a much shorter version.

I suppose for the reel, I could take one of mine to a powder coat place ... car painting place? ... and have it painted. Gawd! The thoughts that come from an idle mind!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

It can be done, but there are 2 big considerations. First, the paint has to be able to flex with the rod without cracking or coming off. Second, it will add weight to the rod, and have an effect on the action and recovery speed. I've never found an effective way to do it myself. I've always put the splash into the seat, guides and wraps.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Would it be possible to dye it? I noticed with my rod blank that it will, very lightly mind you, soak up a little bit of liquid. It dries almost immediately, but it still does it.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

I STILL want a short raspberry or brilliant blue blank. Ol' blue or Jim ... can a blank designed for spin fishing be cut, and ferruled, to make a short, multi-pieced, highly colored blank for fly fishing? Saw some crazy colored ones in the Mud Hole catalogue. I really want a short girlie rod!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Blog Entries

If you can live with 6'6" for length, look into CTS out of New Zealand. A rainbow of colors available (including cobalt, blue, green, golden olive, tangerine and lemon, for example), and includes several lines (even "vintage"!). I'm not sure on colors/sizes/models, but the website has lots of info and contact info. They will even work to design one for you if you really need it. I think they are pricey, but a pretty decent blank. I've often considered picking one up just for fun.

http://www.ctsfishing.com/index.htm

You can order direct, or try Fishstix4U. They are a distributor and should have some additional info if you need it.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    I STILL want a short raspberry or brilliant blue blank.
    Gatti makes a beautiful blue blank. Just saw this on another forum, I want one!

Blog Entries

Here's another option if you want to try painting it. There are guys doing it:
    http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,251479,page=1

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning Betty.
    "This ought to make the hackles stand out on some necks ..."

The question should not, as it is your choice and yours alone.

So that I can answer the question correctly.

1 Do you wish to buy a fly rod blank, any brand and have this coloured to your choice of colour/s ?

2 You already have a rod and wish to repaint it ?

3 The reel, powder coat it....... umm that would rather make the reel look some what big and bulky and would chip easly while in fishing mode maybe this is unwise.

But lets start with the rod first.

Kind regards,
    UB

UB,
    I want to keep it fairly simple and not costly. I thought that if I could pick up a short multi-piece blank, and could paint it the color I wanted, it'd be fun, and unique.

I have a rod that is an 863, and thought that one about 6' maybe 3 or 4 # would be fun for the little streams I like in Wyoming and South Dakota. It certainly does not need to be something really good. Just fun. I love shocking fellow flypeople on the stream (OK ... I'm bad!!)

Not to worry about the reel. Plain black would set a fashion statement, just fine!! Some times my ancient mind tends to wander far from the beaten path.
    Betty

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening Betty.
    As your starting with a rod blank, the your quest is easy !

Step 1, lightly sand back your blank with 600 wet and dry paper with water added.
    Wash down well and allow to dry.

Step 2, find in a hardware shop ?
    a spray can of polyurethane, and apply a light coat and WAIT at least 4 days before touching the blank, the longer the better as it will have a harder skin/finish........ a can costs only about $10, here in Australia.

and thats it......... too easy.

Myself, I like flat coloured blanks and spray my personal rods with polyurethane flat, after the rod has been finished, even over the giudes.

NOW
    If you cannot get a a can of polyu, and then a rubber glove and a small block of foam, dip it in the polyu and wipe it down the blank, and allow to dry.

OR
    You could use,
    a can of auto touch-up spray in the selected colour.
    allow 5 days to dry, at least
    and then apply a light spray of polyu spray over the top to apply a hard usuable skin on the rod blank.
    and then allow some days to dry.

You must remember.
    you can
    apply a coat of mineral turps based paint over thinners based paint,
    BUT
    NEVER the other way around.

IF, your still having trouble, please feel free to ask as many times as required and we will change the colour of your day.

Kindest regards,
    UB

+ Reply to Thread