Over 140 volunteers checked in at this year's Rush River Clean up headquarters, the Ellsworth Rod and Gun Club on April 19th, 2008. Tons of trash, recyclables and junk were removed from this blue ribbon trout stream in west central Wisconsin. Due to it's proximity to the Twin Cities, the river is a favorite of Minnesota and Wisconsin anglers alike.

In observance of Earth Day, help came from as far away as Northfield Mn, central Wisconsin and many points north and south. Pierce County provides bags, weighing and collection service on Monday the 21st.

The event unites riverside land owners, recreational users and members of many TU and sportsman's clubs in the area. Each year, nearly half of the volunteers and a good part of the funding for the clean up comes from Twin Cities Trout Unlimited. The Gun Club provides it's clubhouse for free and the grounds were available for a casting clinic following lunch assisted by members of Lew Jewett FFF. Eau Galle Rush River Sportsman's Club brought coffee and rolls as well as volunteers. Whole Foods and Coleman Natural Meats donated the bulk of our lunch food. Volunteers were treated to chili and cornbread free of charge. TCTU member Josh Nelson acted as our chef. Wisconsin Clear Water TU provided canned beverages. Laughing Trout Flyfishing Club cleaned the kitchen and mopped the floors after lunch.

Clean Up teams were dispatched to bridges and roadside areas over 25 miles of the river beginning at 8a.m.. Along with lunch, door prizes and a contest for the oddest find welcomed them back to the club by noon. Midwest Flyfishing Magazine donated two subscriptions for door prizes. Local artist and Kiap-Tu-Wish member John Koch created Japanese wood block prints especially for this year's clean up featuring hand colored trout in a triangle with the words "Reduce Reuse Recycle" imprinted on one version of the art. 75% of the proceeds from the sale of these prints will go to next year's clean up. You can see them and more of his work at www.troutlillystudios.com

By applause, those assembled at the club for lunch awarded the prize for oddest find to the president of Kiap, Greg Dietl who pulled a wedding garter out of the river. He was presented with a "Genuine Gilbert Creek Boxelder Boot Rest" created from wood cut at the Gilbert Creek stream restoration project last year. In a close second, the members of Fly Fishing Women of Minnesota, entered their odd find, a pair of men's briefs.

The youngest helper was 4 years old, and more than a few octogenarians lent their expertise on a cloudy, cool day. The KYI youth group was also on hand for their second year of participation. And though I heard every rain drop that fell between 3 and 4 a.m., worrying that I'd have to cancel, the threat of rain yesterday morning deterred very few participants. My own crew cleaned the roadside by the club and consisted of the chef's kids and our local DNR fisheries manager. I think we realized what a stinky job he has sometimes when he dumped out a bag of dead animals that were tossed over a guard rail along the highway. Nonetheless, we all had a great time and met new friends while actively giving thanks for the resource.

p.s. the fishing was fabulous afterwards and I think I heard the river sigh with relief.