+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying Areas

Default Tying Areas

http://luckydrift.tripod.com/desks.htm

Sometime back someone started a thread on tying benches. As that thread has now spread to several pages I thought I would start a new thread on tying areas by posting a link (above link) to a past post on Flytying Forum.

Someone there took the time to scan numerous postings of peoples different tying set-ups/areas. I realize that many of you on this board may have already seen these but I'm sure many have not and would be interested in seeing them. If nothing else, a lot of good ideas can be found.

Dave

Question Tying Lamps

I noticed in the vast majority of the pictures of tying benches that large, physically large, in any event are being used by the tiers. I Use the miniture high intensity McKenzie flex shaft lamp that slips on the shaft of the vise and clamps to it. The bottom line: I get plenty of light where i am tying mimimal heat build up and great vision while tying. The only other light is the normal ambient room light. My room has a south facing window so I do get lots of light during the day. However I work on the north wall facing north so any sunlight is to my back.

Anyone else use a similar setup with sucdcess?

Northwoods

(where the lakes still have lots of ice cover)

Normand Guest

whats good for one isnt necessarily good for another. its all about the tyers preference.

i like my daylight lamp and theres no heat blasting from it

Default wow

lots o supplies around there and nice spot for tying.

My first impression was lots of Danvices and more Nor-vices than I would have guessed. I have both. I'd say my set up is way more cluttered than most.

Default supplies

if some would let wife send some over to beginer
    il provide the wife were to send
    Last edited by backwoods; 04-21-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Default lights

Northwoods
    my desk is under the loft in my room so i have a flourescent tube mounted underneath. very handy and plenty of light

Jordan

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Good post!

Thanks Dave. I really enjoyed those pictures. It's always interesting to see what other tyers have set up for themselves. Some of those guys sure do have a LOT of stuff. 8T

A wise man told me once..

"a neat tying desk is a sign of inactive!"

LOOK IF YOU DARE.
    caution... this may hurt

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Pretty good timing for me...I'm just building a cabinet and bench in my workshop and will for the first time in many years, have a dedicated area for tying. Now, I set up a portable station on the dining table, and have to take it out a little more often than I want. Those photos gave me some ideas I will use. My available space is 48" wide, floor to ceiling, so I think I can get all my crap spread out. Those neat ones have something for some guys, I know, but all too neat is a little sick, I think. I like it 'lived in", you know....cluttered. I'm puttin on doors to close and make it very tidy looking.
    Also to keep the fool cat outa my stuff.............................ModocDan

+ Reply to Thread