+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double Cutts

Default Double Cutts

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 23 August 2005).]
    Max

Where abouts?? and did they fry up good?

------------------
    Paul H.
    "Whiskey is for drinking; Water is for Fighting over."
    http://www.flymph.com/

Nice fish, but (and don't take this the wrong way), why in the world are you using Boga grips on 16-17 inch trout?

Can't possibly be easier on the fish than a proper net since the fish has to be much more tired out for you to be able to get the grip positioned over it's bottom lip and closed properly than just scooping it up with a net.

Just my 2 cents.

I had assumed the fish were kept because of the lipping and bend in the necks/flared gills??

------------------
    Paul H.

That looks kind of like Montana in the background and if it is, you're not allowed to keep cutthroat trout here. What gives? Come to think of it, I don't know anywhere that you're allowed to keep a cutty. Is there a place?

Benjo:
    The Montana regulations generally allow cutthroat to be kept. For example, the standard regulation for the western district allows anglers to keep 3 cutthroat of any size from lakes, and 3 under 10 inches from streams/rivers. Those general rules are subject to exceptions for certain water bodies (most of the main rivers) where no cutthroat are allowed to be kept. I see people keeping lake-caught cutthroat all the time, and less often in the rivers. (I don't keep any fish, but would if I caught a nice halibut someday). Idaho and Utah also allow anglers to keep cutthroat caught in certain places, according to the regulations.

here in my area of Cali., as far as i know, cutthroats arent regulated other than standard trout regulations. there isnt really a distinction between species of trout as to wether they can be kept or not. the only one im aware of thats protected is the Paiute Cutthroat, which is rumoured to be the rarest trout in the world.

in fact, our local hatchery programs regularly use bred cutthroats, as well as cuttbow hybrids as brooders. they will eventually stock these cuttys and hybrids as tagged trophies. ive caught upwards of 6 lb'ers in the smaller streams and canals around here that were brood-stock.

they hybridize them using lahontans and kamloops, which results in a very heavy-bodied rainbow that may or may not have the orange slashes distinguishing it as a cutt or cuttbow.

given this "manufactured" species of cutthroat, it is nearly impossible to determine, without a tag, the difference between a stocked cuttbow and a wild cutty. the average fisherman using spinning gear and worms is barely able to determine the differrence between a bow and a brown. trying to enforce regulations that force people to know the difference between a 'bow and cutty would not only be a logistical nightmare, it would ruin the fishing economy in our area.

people dont fish here for the beauty. they fish here because they know we are heavily populated in almost all of our local waters, either through stocking or self-sustaining wild populations. unfortunately, most people (on average) dont know the difference between a stocked trout and a wild trout. so they keep what they catch, regardless of the species.

luckily, our "rare" trout, such as the golden and the paiute cutthroat, really need to be searched out to be caught. its also illegal to target paiute cutts, as far as i know. the folks searching for these fish, know exactly what they are searching for, and are typically releasing them when caught. you have to really go out of your way, for the most part, to catch these guys. rarely, a golden or a paiute is caught in an area that is heavily fished. typically, they are caught in backcountry areas, where a large amount of planning and knowledge is needed to find them.

one of my biggest goals when fishing is to help the "lesser knowledged" learn to distinguish between the species of trout, and also which ones are most likely stockers versus wild trout. luckily, the majority of stocked trout in this area have, at the very least, their adipose fin removed, making identification easier. suprisingly, alot of fisherpersons have never seen an "in tact" adipose fin. they are shocked when you point one out on a big ol' brown. theyve only caught stocked trout, and are surprised to learn that the fins, often including the fore fins, are clipped for ID purposes.

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

I think there was a topic back in the winter about Max wanting advice about where to go fishing in Alberta. The mountains look very much like Southern Alberta (much like Montana too, I guess). Of course the pontoons make it less likely to be in Alberta... unless on the Bow?

Although listed on the species at risk lists, you can still legally harvest Cutts in Alberta. If it is S. Alberta they are most likely Cutt/Bow hybrids anyways.

------------------
    Paul H.

The double Cutt pic was just my first experiment to post a pic. While the pic address was there, I did not successfully make it a link?

I certainly did not intend to get folks imagination so fired up.

The fish were hooked on barless caddis flys on the Elk River in BC.

They were netted together by a guide about 30 seconds apart.

We use the small bogas to remove the fish from the net for picture taking as you do not have to really handle or squeeze the fish, just support its belly.

We believe this is much kinder to the fish versus squeesing them and removing the protective coat.

The fish were returned to the water.

I certainly am curious as to why the pic was removed?

OH Well
    Max

It's legal to keep cutts here in Arkansas, along with browns, brookies, and bows, if they meet size regulations.

+ Reply to Thread