+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rotary vice

Default rotary vice

what hook size range do u tie often.
    what brands o vise do u use/recomend

There are many good threads on this board about which good rotary to buy. It all depends on price range. If money wasn't a consideration I would like a Dyna King Barracuda. Given the above situations though, I personally own a Dan Vise and a Peak Vise. Wanted two vises so that a family member could tie with me.

Here is a great review: http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html

and one more: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._Shoot-Out.htm

On the hook sizes I would really only tie from about a size 6 to 18. Anything much smaller this old guy, just buys those itty bitty flies. I fish mostly spring creeks for trout.

Have fun shopping,

Rick

I've got a Renzetti Traveller (standard jaws) and tie everything from #22-4/0. Great vise.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I fish trout and pan fish, I tie size 10 to 22. I recommend the best vice you can afford with out taking out a loan or skipping meals. I have three vices, the most expensive was about $30 all of them hold the hook which is what is needed. My next vice will most likely be a danvice because I can see where a rotary would help me in some parts of my tying.

Eric

If you give us an idea of what your fishing for and the type of flies you want to tie it will give us a better understanding of what to recommend

I tie on a Traveller as well, they are great vises for the money. I've tied 1/0 to #22 even though the jaws will handle a better range than that. Most of my tying is for trout.

If you don't have a rotary vise and wish to 'try out' a rotary vise; may I suggest the EZ Rotary Vise, by Zephr. I know you can get it through Hook & Hackle; (a sponsor) and from what I can tell they are the only supplier to carry that vise. All the reviews I've seen give it very high marks for a inexpensive starter rotary.
    http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...otary_vise.htm

Will it be my only vise? Nope. My brother gave it to me when I started to tie. And he got it from a friend when he started to tie. I will in turn pass it on to a family member or friend after I raise enough to purchase one of the higher end vises. Will I miss it? Heck yeah. It is simple doesn't have alot of bells and whistles and gets the job done.

I've had no problems with this vise holding the hook sizes I tie, 6 thru 14, streamers, wet, dry and egg.
    Last edited by fivedials; 04-20-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

I've got a Danvise and use it for tying everything from 1/8-oz jigs down to size 16 dry flies. Works great!

I tie probably 50% bass bugs and poppers and 50% trout flies and did so for many years on a simple thompson A vise. After a bit of research and a fairly empty pocket, I bought a danvise. Love the thing. It's got everything I need and it works great. My best recommendation is to definitely go with a rotary of some kind. Being able to rotate the fly around to see that elusive backside and bottom is more than worth the extra cost. I paid $72 for new Danvise off ebay. I found a guy who had great feedback and even offered free shipping. I listed a link to one he's selling now below. I've also heard good things about the EZ rotary vise from H&H. The video that comes with the danvise is helpful to. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Danvise-Rotary-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Hare
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

if money is not a concern a Nor Vise is highly recommended, check out the past threads on rotary vices.
    Ghost.

Normand Guest

+ Reply to Thread