+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving and Spending....

Default Saving and Spending....

When I read JC's article on saving and spending money, I thought to myself, "That doesn't exactly work for broke people." I love the idea that someone would be able to just spend and not have any worries about it. When I spend money though, I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing. If I spend too much, or pay certain bills at the wrong time, I could end up being as broke as when I started. So I'm trying to watch what I spend, but it doesn't always work out.

In the past two weeks, I've made some purchases that could have waited. For example a book called "The Fly Angler's Identifier." Now some of you may be saying, "That's a good purchase." I totally agree with you. BUT, now that I have the book, I am left with very little to buy hooks with. So now I have a book that tells me how to tie these flies and not enough hooks to tie them on. And to top it off, I lack all the materials needed to tie the flies I want to. Well I can pick up various materials at Walmart and possibly some hooks too, though all the hooks they have here are size 8 and larger.

Also I am sitting here with a rod that is completely wrapped and ready to finish, but I decided not to use the finish that came with the kit. After a quick test with it and a few questions, I decided it was best not to use it. Now this was just poor planning. You know the saying, "Proper planning prevents poor performance." Similar, but not the same. Had I been thinking about it sooner, I would have ordered better finish when I ordered the kits. Thankfully, I have it ordered now.

So, that is my situation. If I don't advance fast enough in this hobby/sport/passion whatever you like to call it, it's because I just don't have the money at the moment....
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

joerogrz, I understand you pain . it seems like everywhere in this hobby, people have unlimited funds for everything imaginable. I have three kids a wife who just graduated from college and a low paying job. (it was worth working for the benefits) But things are looking up for me. as the song says my futures so bright I have to wear shades. I will never be at the point that I can just buy a high end rod with out thinking and saving for it. Will be at the point soon where a new fly line wont kill my fishing budget for three months.

All of the tying materials. rods, reels, lines, hooks etc. are nice, however a person with a 9 foot six weight medium fast rod, a floating line and a hand full of buggers nymphs and soft hackles can catch 90% of the fish in the good old 48 states and most of Canada, and can enjoy fly fishing as a life time hobby. Above and beyond this is extras, not necessity, buy the extras as you can afford it. If your choice is a couple of gallons of gas to get to the water for a days fishing or some new tying material. buy the gas and get some water time. time practicing casting and time fishing are where the long term payoff will come for you.

Just my thoughts

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 04-19-2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: fogot to chk spelllling

George you are to be congratulated for knowing what is the right thing to do. Some people don't put limits on themselves and end up with huge credit card debt or get into other kinds of problems. For a man to put limits on himself is the adult thing to do, the wise thing to do. For that is the responsible thing to do. If you are a married man, sometimes it comes down to another fly fishing toy or something for Momma. The prudent fellow better share in who gets the toys for a long term marriage. Balance isnt' something to complain about, it is something to feel good about since you know that is the right thing to do. Thanks for sharing what is a tough thing to say or admit on a public forum.

Rick

Thumbs down

I'm a born miser
    My wife calls me frugal, my sister says I'm cheap.
    What ever you want to call it, I'm not your Average American Consumer
    I come from a old Yankee family and I was raised to recycle, repair, reuse, make do, or do without
    I'm not about to buy stuff just to support the industry as suggested in JC's column

The rod that I was using this morning is 50 years old and casts like a sweet dream. I picked it a year ago for for $30 and "recycled" it
    The reel was a $20 Metalist, the line a $10 factory second.
    Did I catch fish with my $60 outfit..yes
    Was it fun ...you bet !
    Did I have as much fun as the next guy decked out in the latest gear... definitely.. maybe more !!
    Spending more that you need to, or more than you can afford to, may be the American way, but you don't have to play that game

And I won't
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

It may be that not all the folks that get a new vise or high end rod are well off. Vickie and I live on Veteran's Disability which isn't all that great. When we see something we want, a new bamboo rod for instance, we just start planning and saving. It may take 6 months or a year to get the money together, but it works. Anything worth having is worth saving for. Budgeting seems to work pretty well too. We have money earmarked for special things, like the Idaho Fish-In. We save for a year so we can attend. We also earmark money for the Central Washington Fish-In. Once money is designated for something special, it becomes untouchcable except for health emergencies. It ain't easy, but then nobody ever said it was supposed to be easy.

Joe,,, so, you agree with me? That YOU spent more on the NEW rod finish. Thanks, I love being right. You got the good stuff and supported two companies!

JC- Yes I do agree with you, but I also believe someone should have their priorities straight before they go off spending wildly.

I wouldn't eat into my savings to buy a new outfit or whatever may be on the list of "needs" at the moment.

I guess some people took this thread that I was looking for hooks and have offered to send me some. I really can wait to get them, even though I am impatient sometimes. I'll be ordering some pretty soon hopefully. I thank you for the offers (you know who you are), but I'm not asking for them and didn't mean to. I really just wanted to state that people should prioritize and to share a recent experience.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

dudley,
    i doubt you had any more fun with your cheap outfit then someone "decked out"; just as they didnt have more fun than you. im 46 and i owe nobody...house paid for , truck paid for, no credit cards etc. i got this way by busting my hump 18 hours a day. i have very expensive fly rods and some un- expensive fly rods. i also still use my first a fenwick with a medalist bought in 1972 with funds from mowing lawns. i have a blast using everyone of them. to think that just because someone has nice things they are living beyond their means is nonsense. some people just find pleasure in things others dont.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Sometimes Joe, it is hard to get things across on here as I would like them. Hope you get a bunch of hooks and the rod comes out great.

hang in there joe,
    when your finished with school it does get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hey you need to catch a ride with jack to the michigan fish-in it would be great to meet you!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread