+ Reply to Thread

Thread: colors for wrapping

Hybrid View

Default colors for wrapping

I have built over 20 rods now and am at my witts end. I am bored to death with color matching. Is there a web site I can go to not for rod building and wrapping but for color combinations. I am finally building me a rod and I am not certain which blank I will use. The colors are charcol grey and the other blank is dark blue. I want contrasting colors but they must go with the blank. I also don't want to go with the standard walnut reel seat either. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

maroon (no cp) wraps look great on a charcoal blank.
    match the blank w/ the blue one. conflower blue. again no cp and yer there.

Blog Entries

My favorites are cobalt blue, garnet, blue dun and sulky pine green metallic (with gold trim). As for seats, look at REC (FAOL sponsor) if you want to spend a few extra dollars, or you can get in touch with Dave Winslow and get a custom insert made for you for a reasonable price. He has a lot of wood and acrylics to choose from. PM me if you are interested and I can get you his site.
    How about for the dark blue: black frame/blue ring ceramic guides, a blue acrylic insert seat, and metallic blue sulky thread wraps. It would be a bold statement, but would really look good if that is your taste.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 04-19-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I'll give another vote for garnet (no CP) on the blue blank. As a matter of fact, I have a Forecast blue blank w/ garnet thread and gold metallic trim spinning on the dryer right now. It looks real good.

I'll be building a DanCraft rod (matte charcoal blank) shortly. I'm going with orange/black twist thread (no CP) w/copper metallic trim bands for the wraps. Here's a link of what that will look like (I hope) http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=18378. Almost any color /combo should look good on a gray blank.

You can get some nice reel seats from Les' Custom Inserts http://www.insertbyles.com/ or, as mentioned, Dave Winslow http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/winslow...at-inserts.asp . If you're into the eBay thing, they both put a couple of their products up for bid now and then. I picked up a great deal on one of Les' seats- a thuya (sp?) burl insert w/Batson BUL5 nickel silver hardware. It's a nice seat.

John

I have gotten reel seats from Dave at winslows rods and they are excellent. In fact I don't like buying anywhere else. He does some very very very nice work. Just frusteated with the standard colors of wraps more then anything else. That is what stopped me from building before. Don't want to hit that wall again.

Here's Garnet (no CP) on a Forecast blank:

Here's Candy Apple Red on a charcoal blank:

And here's something different with acrylic reel seat inserts (pen blanks) that I did for the Grandkids last summer:

The actual rod building websites are going to give you lots of ideas.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I don't know if we're supposed to post links but this works pretty good to match colors for tags, underwraps, etc...
    http://www.tightwraps.com/test/paramtest.php

Blog Entries

Paul Winslow, Dave's brother, built a gorgeous rod as a donation for the Alaska Fly Fisher's auction last month and Dave turned a blue "manitoba maple" insert for it... Very nice work all the way around and good guys.
    art

the good thing about charchoal colored blanks is that any color will work.

a few that I've used and liked -

blue/silver
    green/yellow
    orange/gold/yellow
    orange/copper
    candy apple red/silver

black/orange twist

metallic purple/jade variegated thread

+ Reply to Thread