Thread: Major Kudos to RST

Threaded View

1. Thumbs up Major Kudos to RST

This is my first post on FAOL and I wanted to thank RST of all his help. You guys/gals have a top notch web site here.

I have been contemplating travel down the slippery slope to fly fishing. I have fished all my life and fish a couple times a week on average but I have never used a fly rod. I inquired on crappie.com(I'm a crappie fisherman in more than one way) about fly fishing and exchanged P.M.'s with deathb4disco on the subject. He directed me to FAOL a few days ago and gave me RST's e-mail address. I am very impressed with the quality of content of the site to say the least. Move over, I am impressed with Bob as a person. After a couple of e-mail exchange's I learned that I work in the town where Bob lives and we in fact know each other through my work place. Bob shows up at work today to see if I am not to busy to chat, he brings me some FF catalogs, and we go out back so he can help me cast.

A few minutes into casting my "combo outfit" and Bob says "It will be very easy for you to become discouraged trying to learn on this rod". The "rod" or "cane pole" as he refereed to it again, is a cheap $50.00 out the door rod, reel, line, backing, flies, etc. I knew it was not much but was hoping to "luck" out. Now you know why I never buy lottery tickets!! Anyway, Bob offers to let me borrow one of his back up rods to learn on, I decline the genuine gesture and thank him. Around 4hrs later he shows up again with the rod, reel, line and all in a nice case and says "Here take this and use it". LOL.... What a fellow. Thanks again Bob and I'll give it a good workout this weekend.
    Last edited by Fred in KY; 04-18-2008 at 01:33 AM.