A letter to FTJ...from an acquaintance....can anyone help him?

"I have a problem. In 1946, after spending eight months in a Naval hospital, I returned to Oregon and needed a fly-fishing rod. There was a gentleman who had a sporting goods store in North Salem, whose name escapes me. He had previously had such a business in Mill City on the Santiam, it is my understanding. During WWII all Tonkin cane for rods had been used up and he had none for sale except a rod of his own making, which he sold to me. It was a rod of about 6 1/2 feet that handles a 3 weight line which was excellent for #18 or 20 flies.

I caught many fish with it until graphite came onto the market. One day the tip started to unravel and I discovered, to my surprise, that the rod had been wrapped in thread its entire length. At some time during all this an article appeared in your publication concerning this man and his method of rod-wrapping. I saved the article for a long time and it disappeared.

Now, at an age of 93, my physician has told me my fishing days are over. When I die the rod will just disappear and it may well be the last example of this kind of workmanship. I am wondering if you could find the article you published. I cannot tell you exactly when it was published as I have subscribed to your magazine for the last 30 years. Also isn't there a depository somewhere which contains a history of fishing equipment which might like it as a donation?"

Folks can anyone help? The FTJ could not recall the article.

If you can help I'll get the info to him.