I have been using point and shoot digital cameras for several years an still use them often today. I have found that with most point and shoot cameras, you can really produce some very nice results once you learn how to use all the camera's features. I prefer my point and shoot cameras to have aperture priorty, shutter priority, and manual modes. Some models can also accept add on lenses or filters by using adapters. For outdoor shots I often use a circular polarizer with my Canon Powershot. Only some models have this feature.

A year ago I purchased a dslr to finally replace my film SLR cameras. I had Canon bodies dating from the 1970s and never upgraded to autofocus SLRs for various reasons. Unfortunately, when Canon came out with their autofocus SRLs in the '80s, they also came out with a new lens mount, which meant that my older Canon FD mount lenses would not work on the new cameras. So I kept shooting manual focus.

I understood that when buying a dSLR, I was buying into more than just a camera, I was buying into a system that includes compatible accessories such as lenses and flash systems. I spent a lot of time reading internet reviews and reading bulletin boards and trying to separate valuable insight from some of the worthless dribble that is out there. I checked out the gear at local stores and talked with people that used the gear. I went online and read the manuals for not only the cameras, but also accessories. I did my homework and made a choice that fit my requirements an budget.

I ended up buying a Nikon D40 Kit (only available this way in the U.S.), a add on flash (more power than built in) and a telephoto zoom lens. This would cover my basic needs and fit within my budget. I could have bought Canon, Pentax, Sony etc. I choose Nikon because of the excellent Nikon flash system. I preferred the ergonomics of the D40, and the 1/500 flash sync speed sold me since I shoot a lot on boats in the bright sun on the ocean. So I can still shoot with fill flash at a higher shutter speed in the bright sun. Most other dSLRs have flash sync speeds of 1/200 or 1/250 second. Point and shoots often have a sync speed of 1/500.

I'm pleased with what I have. I probably would have been please with Canon, Sony, Pentax, etc. too.

And my point and shoot still gets used quite a bit because it goes places where the dSLR is not convenient.