+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with posting from a magazine

Hybrid View

Default Need help with posting from a magazine

I'm not sure where to post this....but folks will see it here.

An acquaintance of mine [93 years old] had a letter in a fly fishing magazine asking for information.
    I would like to post it here thinking of the vast amount of expertise FAOL has.
    Aside from typing the whole thing...that will take me all day....I can't figure out how to do it.
    I've scanned the two pages into my computer that the letter is part of but they are not very readable and I can't seem to copy and paste just the letter.

Any suggestions?

Duck -

Not sure this will work, but what I would try is: 1) copy the two pages you scanned into a word document; 2) edit the word document to include only what you want in your post; 3)copy your final word document; 4) open your BB thread and try to paste the copied document into the thread.

??? Good luck !!! or a waste of time ???

John

Experiment -

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and much enjoying it. I have resisted the temptation to join the conversation, up to this point.

But - today I tried out my first home made rod and outfit, so I qualify to talk about CHEAP, and CHEAPER, and CHEAPEST rods.

My entire fly fishing outfit today cost less than $1.50. I got skunked, but that is not relevant, because I'm satisfied that I can catch fish with this outfit in the right place at the right time.

The rod is a Scott 401.5-1O. ( Hope the other Scott has some sense of humor about this, if they run across it. ) The designation may not be familiar to you. It is a four foot for 1.5 weight one piece made of oak. Get beyond all that fancy language and what you have is a 48" X 1/4" oak dowel from the local hardware store. It cost $.84, including tax. The rod was finished with a tiptop fashioned from Maxima Chameleon leader material, and a decorative butt wrap of fly tying thread.

The line was a custom made Scott 1.5 LLF. Another unfamiliar designation ? It is a 1.5 wt level line floating. The line was furled using 45 plus feet of 20# dacron fly line backing on a seven foot jig to end up with a six strand level line about six feet long. Some mucilin turned a sure sinker into a floating line. Since I had the backing laying around, it didn't cost anything, unless you include labor, but as cheap as I am, I wouldn't pay myself - so it was free.

The leader was one of my standard thread furled leaders with silver chain tip ring. They cost about $.35 for materials, and I don't pay labor for that kind of thing.

Can't calculate the cost of four feet of 4x tippet, so let's just say that was $.10.

Fished a size 18 griffith gnat. That's probably another $.20 ??

That actually comes to $1.49 - got a penny to spare !!

Anyway, I could actually cast this outfit well enough to get the fly almost 20' from where I was standing. The rod was super fast action - some people would call it a stick, of all things. The line carried a tight loop, the furled leader turned over beautifully, the dry fly floated along nicely in a drag free drift. What more could you ask for, except for some nice brown or cutt to take the fly ??

I have to admit, the rod was a bit fast for my liking, and casting such a short rod with a 1/4" grip is a bit tiring. And it would probably max out under 30' even if I added a couple more six foot sections of Scott 1.5 LLF.

But it only cost a buck and a half, with change to spare - and I had a blast. Next time out, I'm gonna fish a creek where a 20' cast is almost always too long, and the fish just love to play with things floating along the surface. Can't hardly stand the wait.

John

Duck -

It seems to work, as long as you get the stuff you want into a word document.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks, John, but I had tried that and the problem was even in the word document I couldn't edit/copy it.

In order to accomplish what your thinking you will need some type of OCR (optical character recognition) software. What you have now is nothing more than an image with nothing that the program (word) can decide what is available for selecting. Some scanners come with some sort of OCR on the disc provided with the equipment. You would want to install that and then scan it again using that software.
    Another choice is just putting the scanned images on a site like photobucket and then posting a link to those images.
    HTH

Thanks flyline....I was wondering about the photobucket thing....and I can do it in OCR..I'm going to play around with those just for the sake of learning...but I just took the bull by the horns and typed it out..and just posted.....tedious....I hate typing.

Well, I shouldn't have been so impatient....both of those ways worked....the OCR being better than the photobucket since pb did the whole page.
    Thanks, Fly Line, for another learning experience.

+ Reply to Thread