+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carp ??

Hybrid View

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Default Carp ??

I'm a over 50 guy, born and raised within 50 miles north or south of the OR/CA border.
    I was brought up, like a lot of us, to see carp as undesireables....encouraged as a youngster to kill 'em whenever we caught one. Never had I ever heard of anyone actually
    going out and fishing for them. I have seen entire lakes poisoned and then later restocked to get rid of them in the past. Well, now......here at FAOL I've seen photos of very large carp not only caught by our members, but bragged up! And I've read post after post really singing the praises of carp as a targeted fish for fly fishers. I understand they're great fighters, and every bit as wily as many "traditional" game fish. As I've gotten older, I've discovered many things I was taught were , well, wrong... It seems the carp issue was one of them. I recently read, somewhere here, as well they are pretty tasty table fare when prepared properly. Another myth blown!! I'm sure I'm not alone in recovering from this and many other erroneous mindsets...... Now I want to hear more........about flys, methods, the whole deal...for carp, and what is "properly prepared" in regards to having them for the evening meal???? I'm ready for a carp expedition ...............ModocDan

Default Carp!!

Not to offend you carp lovers out there but they've been and are a scourge to our waters.
    Maybe I'll release my 1st carp on the fly but after that, as has always been the case, they'll be
    draw and quartered and buried for fertilizer.
    nam

a carp would be awesome to catch on a flyrod. how are carp bad for our waters? I thought they ate all the stuff on the bottom
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

They will eat the stuff on top too. Got my eye on some big boys......30-40lbers. Will post photos if I get 'em.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishaholic69 View Post
    a carp would be awesome to catch on a flyrod. how are carp bad for our waters? I thought they ate all the stuff on the bottom
    http://www.lindenhurstil.org/lakesco...management.htm

Here's a link on eating carp, http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=15658

I'm really going to try hard this year to catch me a carp!! I've been wanting to fight one since last season!!

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by fishaholic69 View Post
    And because of that they tear up the bottom....also the banks

Having said that.....don't get me wrong...I'm not necessarily against them....just that in certain situations they may not be desirable.

I see them all the time in late summer on the river I fish (Rocky River) schools of them staring at me .. tailing, rooting..usually means smallies are right behind them picking up on all that they are kicking around. Haven't got a carp to take a fly yet though.
    Janus

All types of carp are introduced species in North America. Asian Carp were put into many watersheds to provide food fish for a growing country, Grass Carp have been introduced to help with weed control on many waters. That being said, here in the Northeast, they are here to stay. There is a major carp fishing tourney on the Saint Lawrence not far from me. People come from all over the world to compete for serious money. Not far down river from that area a local fish and game club has held a bowfishing tourney for Carp for years. Of course the tourney anglers and bowfishers see things from two very different perspectives. The carp fisherman practice strict catch and release, and go a bit overboard on caring for the fish, going as far as dressing the hook wound before release, while the bowfishers practice pretty strict catch and use for fertilizer. My only problem with the whole thing is that the tourney anglers, most of them from Europe, want the bowfishing tourney shut down. I for one am trying to figure out how to catch a few on the long rod.

+ Reply to Thread