+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Grief!

Default Good Grief!

I just about caused a major explosion in my kitchen. Just finished wrapping a St. Croix rod and was going to "burn" the fuzzies off. I've used a little wick thing with denatured acohol for years to do this. Recently I put a little more "fuel" in the glass kettle, reinserted the wick and lit a match. Woof! and the wick shoots up the ceiling and back to the counter flaming like a finger from hell. What did I do wrong? After all these years I simply at a loss. Any suggestions? Thanks. JGW

You sure it was denatured?

Blog Entries

Holy crap... .. I *know* it's not funny - and honestly I'm not laughing at the thought of the look on your face.. I just thought of a funny story I heard yesterday.

'Scuse me a second..

uhh.. touch 'er off again.. lightning never strikes twice.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

That's what the can said. Denatured. Dang near de-natured me.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

I would get a new can of denatured, alcohol doesn't do that. sounds like a miss-labled can.

Eric

try pouring a small puddle of it in your driveway at night and throwing a match in it, it shouldnt flash.

just had a thought, assuming that this is an alcohol burner with the glass jar underneath the tight fiting lid with a wick coming up through a hole, if for some reason the lid didnt seal tight and flame went down inside the jar the combustion of the alcohol in the jar could have conceavably blown the wick in the air causing this problem.
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 04-15-2008 at 08:38 PM.

by the way, HideHunter is still a sick, sick man! So you revealing the story or are you fearful of my making another column out of you? JGW

Blog Entries

Sounds like the lid was not sealed, or the wick was loose, and the flame ignited the alcohol fumes in the jar to cause an an explosion and shoot the wick out.

Ah, ha. Sounds like I need a new outfit. I'm guilty of all the above. The wick was held out of the jar and liquid with a needle. But, I've used the system for years without a problem. I guess I grew nonchalant and overconfident when nothing like this had happened previously. Thanks for the tips. JGW

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by white43 View Post
    by the way, HideHunter is still a sick, sick man! So you revealing the story or are you fearful of my making another column out of you? JGW

Sorry. .. I can't recall the story at the moment. I think you have enough "fuel" (sometimes I crack me up) for a column without my assistance.

I just have this vision of you sitting there with a burning match in your hand, eyes as big as silver dollars, no eyebrows or nose hair, flaming debris flying about the room and a burning wick stuck in the ceiling.

"Comedy comes from pain and suffering."

'Escuse' me again.. I need to compose myself. I must need to go fishing...badly.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 04-16-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Years ago you were headed to WI to do some fishing and had gone to wash your truck. Just to jog your memory! One of the funniest stories ever. And, how weird that you should describe my moment of rocket-ism so perfectly. I was so stunned that it took a few seconds for me to realize that the wick was aflame and darn close to ending my life as a rod maker. Surely she wouldn't have been that forgiving. JGW

+ Reply to Thread