Have bumped into the Summer 1997 issue of the Federal Wildlife Officer internet magazine before but thought this would be a great way to create more sparksala the bird skins threads.

"POLAR BEAR SKINS USED FOR ``FLY TYING''

A cooperative marine mammals investigation between Regions 1 and 7 came to a conclusion on April 14, 1997, when pursuant to a Rule 20, David McNEESE entered a plea of guilty in Oregon to one felony (purchase) count. McNEESE, 45, was fined $2,000; placed on three years' probation; and ordered to perform 200 hours community service.

McNEESE paid an undercover agent $1,000 for a polar bear hide in 1994 which he intended to cut up and make fishing flies to sell at his fly shop in Salem, OR.

Wilsonville, OR,Agents Earl KISLER, Pete NYLANDER, and Jerry WOODS conducted a surveillance as the polar bear hide was delivered and subsequently served a search warrant on McNEESE's shop. The case was originated by Steve TUTTLE with assistance of Wally SOROKA.

Submitted by Jerry Cegelske, , Region 7 "

McNeese has to be a fool to even consider going there. Polar bear is perfectly legal to own and use for tying purposes if it is from a pre-act rug (Marine Mammal Protection Act of '72). I would suppose it is perfectly legal to sell flies tied from said legal hair... But I will have to look into that more deeply now that I am asking questions of the right people anyway.
art