+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition 'points'

Hybrid View

Default Ignition 'points'

Dating myself a bit here. Anyone remember having a car with "points". Man I could be going down the road, have the car start to miss, stop the car, get out, change the points and be gone again in a matter of a few minutes. Or just lightly file them down and be gone in a matter of a minute.
    Those 'were the days'....thank God they WERE the days.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 04-14-2008 at 08:11 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Yep...sure do. I always had GM cars back then, so I would purposely carry a book of matches in the glove box...to set the point gap with. It worked remarkably well, too. Still remember the specs too....on a dwell meter/tachometer (how many people remember THOSE) the correct dwell range was between 28 and 32 degrees...set them at 30 and you were all set.You're right...those WERE the days.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Yep..................I remember breaker points ignition well,.................and I'm real glad they're gone. My Chevy goes 2 years on a tune-up with nothin in between...........
    Awesome!!!!!....................................Mo docDan

Default points....

my car has points....
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

I remember the points only too well along with having to remove the in-line gas filter, clean it and then hope it didn't have an air lock and would reprime. Sometimes had to dump cold water over it to remove the air lock.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    my car has points....

So does my boat...

Brad

Boy, GnuBee, do your highly technical terms, ever rekindle old and fond memories!! Just the thought of my "cigarette lighter back pressure gauge" going catawhumpus, beore it was up to the right amount, was a real worry!

Being many miles, out in the boonies and suddenly finding out that your windshield wiper reversing oil was a quart or more low, wasn't any fun either. Of course, you COULD maybe limp the car home, if your exhaust overbearings were well lubed, but who ever watched those, that closely, really?

Usually, you watched your radiator sliders and manifold tri-gears a lot closer, than the overbearings!

("The ballbearing, down the spark plug hole" was as nasty a thing to do, as to remove someone's air cleaner, then build a miniature sand castle on the carbs choke plate.)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ausable_ny View Post
    purposely carry a book of matches in the glove box...to set the point gap with.
    Ken

Did so myself. Worked great.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Yup, I remember points very well. My 73 Flord F250 Camper Special has a book of matches in the glove box for setting the points. There is still enough room to climb in and sit on the wheel well to work on the engine. Points, plugs and condensor every year and it runs like a champ.

An don't forget to replace the distributor cap!! And, if you had "a MACHINE", you'd grab the "Hawk brand timing light" and set the timing 6 degrees BTDC!?
    Maybe, replace the jets and go up a size on the Holly 4-BBL Double Pumper, which of course, set on top of your Edlebrock Hi-rise aluminum manifold.
    If done right, the "sound" coming out the pipes,(after passing through a pair of "Thrush" glasspacks), was something else!
    Then, Mallory came out with the "Dual Points" distributor and finally the "Infrared pointless distributor"!?? With one of those, even your '54 Chev straight iron 6 was "A Boss Machine"!! (IF, that is, you had enough product decals stuck to the rear side windows and a pair of "Moon Eyes" on the rear bumper)!!
    Each payday, saw another "chrome engine accessory" added to the 263 or 283 small block, all courtesy of "Cal-Custom" and "Mr.Gasket" companies.
    ANDDDDDDDDD, you could fill your "Boss Rod" for 32.9 @ gallon too.
    Last edited by flybinder; 04-14-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread