+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Line for Northern and Bass

Default Line for Northern and Bass

I am setting up a new rod for northern, bass and maybe a few steelhead.
    I chose an 8wt mostly because I already have a 6wt that I use but
    needed something with a little more punch in the wind on lakes.
    I am currently soliciting opinions on what type of line to use. If you
    currently do any of this type of fishing what type line do you use and are
    you happy with it? I have had thoughts on trying one of the multi tip lines,
    my 6wt I have a separate spool for a floating, sinktip, and full sink lines.
    This works but it's a lot to carry. The multi tip lines sound like a good idea
    I just don't know about the castabilty of them.

Default Good question

I also just got an 8wt for bass etc. and was faced with the same question. I ended up getting a suspending line. It is supposed to sink just below the surface and then stay suspended there. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'll give a report as soon as I do.

I think I would go for the multi spool option. I find myself using floating line most of the time for bass and would rather not bother changing tips. If you want the option of a sinking tip you can purchase a Courtland Mini Head kit from Cabela's for about $12 and then you could purchase a full sink line to complete your line selection. But that's just the way I'd do it.
    My favorite line for bass bugging is Rio Cold Weather Clouser line. It's easy to cast, supple even when it's cold and turns heavy flies over very nicely.

jsmartt, just curious as who made the line you bought. I don't think I have
    ever looked at a suspending line.

cycler68, that's what I want to here I am most interested in a floating line
    to start with. I was actually looking at the cortland mini head at the fly
    shop the other day.

I use a Pike/Musky taper line for those species and a bass taper line for bass. I almost always use these floating lines but if I need to go subsurface I use SA Uniform Sink lines that I have on different spools. I use 9 wt and 10 wt for pike/musky and 7 wt and 8 wt for smb and lmb. Thus I have several rods, reels and spare spools.

If you are going to use one rod for all these species, I would recommend that you get spare spools with different lines or get a reel with quick change cassettes that can hold your different lines.

But if you don't want to get specialty lines for these species, which I didn't have for many years, get a good WF8F line and if you need a sinking version get one of the full sinking lines. I regularly fish for these species at fairly deep intervals and the sinking line allows me to extend my fishing under different conditions.

I've used the "AirFlo" multi-tip line in both the 5 & 6 wts. now for a couple of years and really like them for the uses I bought them for. In my belly boat, or on my 'Toon, I'm not carrying extra reel spools to go from floating to sinking, or slow sink to fast sink, or back again.
    I dropped a spare spool to the bottom of a lake, once, trying to switch out spools
    on a reel, an expensive lesson.
    Also, I don't like having to completely re-rig a rod, especially while in my belly boat, just to "work some deep water, before changing back to a floater for top water a half hour later".
    The "tip wallet" takes up virtually no room, when compared to extra spools.
    "Casting" is a hair different, with the sink rate tips, but no more than learning to cast a regular sink tip, or, full sinking line.

Every one has their favorites and likes and dislikes, but I personally like having 4 fly lines on one reel, with one spool.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread