+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting my next strip-built rod

Have you thought of using the white thead that seems to disappear when a coat of epoxy is painted over it? I've seen boo rods where some sort of technique like that was used and it is just amazing. I'm really speaking as a novice since I don't know the exact technique, but it's cool since the line guides appear to be floating on the wood. However it's done, the wood appears right through the epoxy -- same as it does on my cedar strip canoes. That would be just awesome on that purple wood. JGW

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Nice Nets, I was recently given some bamboo flooring that I am thinking of trying net building with.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by white43 View Post
    Have you thought of using the white thead that seems to disappear when a coat of epoxy is painted over it? I've seen boo rods where some sort of technique like that was used and it is just amazing. I'm really speaking as a novice since I don't know the exact technique, but it's cool since the line guides appear to be floating on the wood. However it's done, the wood appears right through the epoxy -- same as it does on my cedar strip canoes. That would be just awesome on that purple wood. JGW
    I thought about something like that. However, I will not be using epoxy over the wraps. I will put several coats of spar varnish on the wraps. Same as on the rod blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Nice Nets, I was recently given some bamboo flooring that I am thinking of trying net building with.

Eric

Eric-

Have you made nets before? If not and you would like to give it a try I have put together a net making tutorial in a Word Document. If you are interested, PM me with your email address and I will email a copy of it to you.

I've made dozens of nets in various sizes and out of many different types of wood. I'd be glad to help you out.

Default thread

To make the tread disappear , you need white silk thread . Although I haven't tried it , I do believe that spar varnish will work . You can always try it on a piece of scap first .

+ Reply to Thread